second prime purchased nikon 50mm 1.8d

foo

Ok so there are now four lenses in my bag , nikon 18 - 55mm vr, Sigma 70 - 300 mm telephoto, Sigma 28mm 2.8 and now the nikon 50mm af 1.8d Not really sure if thats all I need but I think for now I have most things covered.
I got the 50mm for £60. used twice so not too bad a price , post some shots when they arrive .
Apparently I have heard good things about this little 50 , is it as good as they say.:nevreness:

§am

You can't really go wrong with a f/1.8 prime, and the 50mm D series is nothing to cry over :)
Post some pics up of this bargain purchase.

foo

Sure will,the Sigma 28mm 2.8 mini wide comes tomorrow ,thats why been getting to grips with the Sigma 70 -300mm.

foo

I guess it will be similar to the Sigma telephoto in operation , aperture ring locked at f22 and controlled in Aperture Priority , or M manual mode alter shutter speed etc.

SkvLTD

You'll love that 28 Sigma, trust me. Sigma 70-300 on the other hand isn't really all that great of that range of lenses.

Else, not sure whether you'd get much out of that 50 to be honest other than a good price. It won't AF, though it will meter, but it will be very close to the 70-300's 105 end, in a way. Would work outdoors, but indoors it will be a bit too tight to use effectively.

The 28 is only 2.8, but fits towards the higher end of the 18-55 with a much better optical quality IMO.

All I can say is, instead of glass, start investing into lighting since you are on DX and it will start lagging with higher ISO sooner than later. Fast primes won't fully and truly remedy that shortcoming as much as a good flash would.

foo

I used to have a Olympus shoe mount fl 36 mounted to my last camera , and these are in a different league than the ones fitted as standard fare.
Thing was I hardly used the flash as I had 24mm ,28mm 50mm primes so I sold it on .

foo

I actually thought the Sigma 70-300 would be crap to be honest , given the price I paid it was a steal and its actually a lot better than I expected.;)

foo

020.jpg
There is no way I could have shot this handheld with my Olympus pen , even tho it had onboard stabilisation .Anything longer than 135mm required a tripod so I was suprised at the result I got with the Sigma 70-300. although it weighty on the camera

crycocyon

The 50 1.8D is a terrific lens. I used to use that on my D700 and was always pleased with the quality. It is a really fast focuser too.

aroy

Now we have three 50mm F1.8 posting on this forum!

This lens is pretty sharp and the "Green Dot" or the range finder in the view finder focuses spot on, so manual focus is a no a breeze.

Mike D90

I have said this in both of the other two 50mm f/1.8 threads . . . . I love mine and it is a keeper! Plan to get the "G" version one day but am in no hurry.

This shot is from my self portraits done in January. I enlarged this shot to 100% view and did a crop of a small area of my eye.

DSC_4208.jpg

Last edited:

aroy

I have said this in both of the other two 50mm f/1.8 threads . . . . I love mine and it is a keeper! Plan to get the "G" version one day but am in no hurry.

Do not be in a hurry. DXO comparison shows that the G version is sharper, but the D version has much less distortion and CA. I would not upgrade to the F1.8G.

Mike D90

I tell ya, I am loving those older "D" lenses more an more every day! I just purchased the 28-105mm 3.5-4.5 macro lens and it is reviewed to be one of Nikon's best, sharpest lenses in the "D" lens lineup. I also have the older 18-70mm "D" lens and it is awesome as well.

Blacktop

I'm actually thinking about getting a split prism focusing screen for my 3100, so I can better utilize my 50mm 1.8D
However this is another thread all together.

480sparky

I tell ya, I am loving those older "D" lenses more an more every day! I just purchased the 28-105mm 3.5-4.5 macro lens and it is reviewed to be one of Nikon's best, sharpest lenses in the "D" lens lineup. I also have the older 18-70mm "D" lens and it is awesome as well.

I use a 28-200 D for my 'street' zoom.

SkvLTD

I feel it all comes down to what you use it for. If its for too much action than MF can handle, AS-F Gs become indispensable, but as far as overall quality oldies will always kick.

aroy

I'm actually thinking about getting a split prism focusing screen for my 3100, so I can better utilize my 50mm 1.8D
However this is another thread all together.
I have been contemplating the same thing, initially when I wanted to get the D600 and now for my D3300. I found 2 vendors for D3100, but got no feed back as yet
Nikon D3100 D3200 D5100 Focusing Screen - KatzEye Optics
Focusing Screen

The idea is excellent, so let us know once you install it
. Does it require any diopter adjustment
. Does the metering work as before or is some compensation required.

480sparky

I thoroughly enjoyed the KatzEye I had in my D7000. I wish they'd get off the crapper and make 'em for the D600. They've given me some silly story about not having a D600 to test them on.

FYI, I still have the focus screen out of the D7000 if anyone wants to buy it.