SD Card

Flash Pot

I was thinking of buying several 16 gig Sony SDHC-UHS1 class 10 with 40 write speed for my D3100.

Since this is my first DSLR, will this be a good enough SD card? I will be using the camera for photos 99% of the time with perhaps an occasional video here and there.

§am

A 16GB card will hold 100s of pictures from your D3100 even on top settings.
It's good to have a few, not sure about several though.

The Class 10 bit is made defunct by the fact it's a UHS-1 card too. UHS-1 is better rated for speed than Class 10 and if your camera uses (or is able to make use of) UHS-1 then at a minimum it will write at 50MB.
The Class 10 side would then only be used in a device that does not use UHS-1, for example your card reader on a laptop

MeSess

I was thinking of buying several 16 gig Sony SDHC-UHS1 class 10 with 40 write speed for my D3100.

Since this is my first DSLR, will this be a good enough SD card? I will be using the camera for photos 99% of the time with perhaps an occasional video here and there.

I used a Sony 8gb SD card with my D60 until I accidentally left it in the camera when I sold it and I never had any problems with it. I don't see why you would have trouble with it.

I ordered a pack of three Lexar Platinum ii 16gb SD cards for 22 dollars so I'll see how that goes. They are "approved" by Nikon and get positive reviews on B&H Photo etc. The link for the deal is below.

http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=E3LXLSD16GBSBNA200&ref=cj

Last edited:

DraganDL

You should expect no problem at all. It is fast enough for capturing 1080p video with the sound, at max movie quality settings. Fast enough for recording RAW and burst shots.

SteveH

I used a 16GB 45 MB/sec SanDisk Extreme in my D3100, and shooting RAW only it would keep the burst speed up, and store between 6-700 shots on the card - If you are trekking around the world a "Few" would be handy, otherwise I think two would cover even long trips!

aroy

I got a Lexar 4GB SDHC class 4 with my D3300. That is enough for more than 150 RAW images, and is fast enough for all but long bursts.

I found that the average size of 24 MP 12 bit RAW images is around 22MB give or take a bit. I also bought a Sandisk 32GB 45mbps card, as that was the most optimum price/capacity option.

The D3200 has 24MP sensor so its disk requirement should be same as the D3300.

The D3100 has a 14.2 MP sensor, hence with 12 bit compressed RAW file should be less than 14MP. That gives around 250+ images in a 4GB disk. On a 16 GB disk it will hold over a 1000 images.

In contrast the D600/D610 generates 14 bit compressed images which average around 27MP images, and the images per card reduces proportionately.

Horoscope Fish

The Sony cards will be fine. I see Amazon is selling the 40MB/s cards for $9 and and change... That's pretty sweet.

I agree with some of the other posters that having a few is a good idea but I'd think three, or four tops, would do you just fine.

Last edited:

WayneF

USB 2.0 is not ever going to go faster than about 30 MBps (D3100 output connector is USB 2.0 - you would want a USB 3.0 card reader). Video has the entire record time to write, and card speed is not a factor (if at least a Class 6 card). If just taking one photo picture at a time, write speed is not much issue, but a continuous burst of large RAW files might get crowded if a slow card.

Pretzel

Using the D3100 myself: The Sony card I have seems to work just fine, as does the Samsung card that was given to me. My SanDisk card seems to upload to the computer faster, though, even though they're the same rating. No real stats behind that, so as we say in the biker world, that's a "seat of the pants" assessment.

I keep a rotation of 3 cards going at all times. One in the camera, a spare in the bag, and typically the last one I used still in the computer. When I import a new card, I rotate the spare to the camera as soon as I take the active card out of the camera, then the one in the computer goes to the to the bag. Helps keep me from finding that "OMG" shot only to suffer a facepalm when I realize I don't have a card with me (which I've done a couple of times). More than those 3, unless shooting large events, shouldn't really be necessary, but I have heard some talk of replacing SDHC cards once a year to prevent corruption and failures. If you find an amazing price, I could see picking up a couple of spares.

Flash Pot

Thanks to everyone for your replies. I guess I was thrown off by the UHS-I designation. I've never heard of it and still am unsure if the D3100 will accept it.

WayneF

D3100 will always "accept" it (because the card is always backwards compatible). D3100 spec does not say UHS, but D3200 does say UHS-1.

There are many ifs and buts about SD card speed, but Write Speed is really not very important to the camera, UNLESS you plan to shoot burst mode with large files. Single shots and video don't much care, they have enough time. :)

Read Speed can seem important when downloading several gigabytes to the computer (and a fast card will need a USB 3.0 card reader to see the best speed. That USB 3.0 reader will say UHS).

Memory cards always have a Read speed, and a Write speed, which may not be in the same ballpark. Read speed is faster, and when there is one number shown, it is Read speed. Write speed is slower.

UHS-1 is 10 MB/s Minimum Write Speed (also the meaning of Class 10).
UHS-3 is 30 MB/s Minimum Write speed. (likely will not mention Class 10)
Per the standards: https://www.sdcard.org/consumers/speed/
(it could be faster)

The Sony UHS-1 card saying 40MB/s is telling Read Speed (but USB 2.0 sill cannot exceed about 30 MB/sec).

Again, if shooting single shots or video, the only time you will notice card speed is when downloading a few gigabytes of files to the computer. Faster is good.

Last edited:

MeSess

Basically just find the capacity you think you'll need and the best deal you can find in a class 6 or higher card from a respected brand. Think about whether you'll want to keep the same card in for a day or a couple days before transferring files and then get a couple of whatever you need. Since I have the D3200 and the RAW files are somewhat large I figured the optimum size for me would be 16gb that way I know for sure I won't fill it up quickly and be stuck. I then bought 3 of them incase I lose one or if I'm on a trip without a computer I can just switch cards and go a couple days without worrying. With that criteria I just searched around and found the cheapest highly reviewed card I could find and I found the Lexar cards in a pack of 3 for 22. They are all class 10 and 16gb so they should meet my needs perfectly whether it be photos, videos and transferring to the computer.

Flash Pot

Once again, thanks to each of you.

I am guessing my laptop card reader will also be accepting of this card. I know it is has an SD card slot but not sure of the specs. I've transferred photos from a regular card with it in the past without issue.

MeSess

Once again, thanks to each of you.

I am guessing my laptop card reader will also be accepting of this card. I know it is has an SD card slot but not sure of the specs. I've transferred photos from a regular card with it in the past without issue.

Yes, if your computer has a standard SD card reader it will read from any SD card no matter what the cards specs are. The speed may vary depending on the specs of your card reader but your files will get from point A to point B. I use the card reader built into my macbook and it works just fine.

Flash Pot

Yes, if your computer has a standard SD card reader it will read from any SD card no matter what the cards specs are. The speed may vary depending on the specs of your card reader but your files will get from point A to point B. I use the card reader built into my macbook and it works just fine.

Perfect!

Someone above gave a link to Amazon for the cards that is half the cost I paid at Walmart. So now I can get two!