sigma 28mm f2.8 mini -wide nikon fit

foo

Hi everyone , I have just purchased my first prime for the nikon d5200, now I know its an old one , but I like these manual focus lenses .
I had a few with my last camera and they are great value for money.
Right so has anyone got experience of this lens please Sigma Ais 28mm mini- wide 2 f2.8 , nikon fit. Is A for aperture priorty on camera.
Comes with hood and case .
I use these for landscapes .
What crop effect wil it have on my nikon , my old camera was a x2 crop effect so 50mm was like a short 100mm tele lens .
Thank you all any info would be great thanks.:joyous:

480sparky

You'll have the same 1.5x (not 2x) crop factor. Your 28mm will have the same FOV of a 42mm on a 35mm film or FX-format digital camera.

DraganDL

You did the right thing - these old lenses can be very amusing to shoot with, and they come very cheap. Plus, if you get yourself s full frame DSLR Nikon some day, it's gonna fit it perfectly.

foo

You'll have the same 1.5x (not 2x) crop factor. Your 28mm will have the same FOV of a 42mm on a 35mm film or FX-format digital camera.
sorry sparky but my old Olympus epl1 did indeed have a x2 crop factor , thats why I wanted to know the crop factor of the nikon ,but thanks for your courteous reply.

foo

You did the right thing - these old lenses can be very amusing to shoot with, and they come very cheap. Plus, if you get yourself s full frame DSLR Nikon some day, it's gonna fit it perfectly.
Yes indeed , I picked up a factory wrapped Om.m zuiko f1.8 50mm last year which was for peanuts , I have now given the Olympus epl1 and zuiko to my son.
I have bought several MF lenses in the past and some can give new glass a run for its money.
I shoot mostly with legacy lenses so now I need to know what to look out for for the nikon , Nikkor lenses are nice but probably overpriced so I tend to look out for Sigma's , Tamron
etc as there seems to be less demand.

Blacktop

I have bought several MF lenses in the past and some can give new glass a run for its money.
I shoot mostly with legacy lenses so now I need to know what to look out for for the nikon , Nikkor lenses are nice but probably overpriced so I tend to look out for Sigma's , Tamron
etc as there seems to be less demand.

Read more: http://nikonites.com/prime/21297-sigma-28mm-f2-8-mini-wide-nikon-fit.html#ixzz2wMdmXEoP

If you like those older lenses, and you obviously need a 50mm since you gave it your son, you need to get the Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D . Under a hundred bucks used, and I think it's like a 130 bucks new. Seriously. No joke!!

DraganDL

:confused:It looks like my colleagues "480sparky" and "foo" have a sort of misunderstanding here: (citing "foo"): "What crop effect will it have on my nikon". So, our colleague "foo" DID ask about the crop factor of a DX Nikon camera, when supplied with a Sigma 28mm AiS. Seems to me that "Sparky" answered correctly - 28mm on a DX camera will give a field of view of a 42mm lens mounted on a full frame (or 35mm "Leica format") camera. The same lens, mounted on a m4/3 camera will act (in terms of the field of view) like a 56mm lens on a 35mm camera.

Last edited:

foo

Does this lens meter , because I'm under the impression it does'nt.
As for Sparky and myself it was a misunderstanding , owing to the different camera's the crop effect with the Sigma lens attached was what I meant , but Hey no harm done .
My thanks to you all for your replies.:)

DraganDL

Yeah, no harm indeed:). As for the "metering": your camera (D5200, just like my D5100) is not capable of (fully) using it's light meter if the attached lens is not equipped with the appropriate electronic system that "communicates" with the camera body (my other camera, the D7000, as well as many other Nikon cameras is capable of metering the light even with such lenses - so-called "non-CPU lenses"). However, it IS possible to meter the light if you turn on the "live view" mode (mirror goes up and you use a LCD display as a "rangefinder", just like with Olympus PEN)...

But, I might be wrong - maybe you have a lens with a "chip" (if the lens has those 5 electro-contacts at it's rear end, just above the bayonet). Can you post the full designation of the lens?

Last edited:

foo

The lens is Ais therefore I think it would be aperture priority , but for the older nikons , I have a light meter but not sure how accurate it is , since I bought it for around $10 .
I popped a new battery in it and it works but yet to fully test it .

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

DraganDL

No big deal - it'll take you a minute or two to check your light meter. Set it to any ASA/ISO value, set the camera to ''manual" mode. Set the ISO, the aperture and the shutter speed values to any combination calculated by the light meter, and shoot. If the shot comes out correctly exposed, your light meter works good.

Last edited:

foo

Well tested the light meter against the nikon , light meter gave a reading of 4 secs exposure at f5.6 in my front room , set camera to aperture priority f5.6 and gave a 3 sec exposure time . But my nikon underexposes by a third so not too bad considering .can always adjust exposure. compensation if need be.
Lens be here tomorrow so will try get some shots posted . Cheers DraganDL

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

foo

The Sigma arrived this morning , got some time off work so managed to get a couple of test shots , now please bear in mind I have a cheap jessop d 3 light meter and it aint perfect.
So before you all destroy my photos LOL , I'm just learning new things .
I was used to maual lenses but I have had to have a shot at using a light meter too .
It takes a little more time to get set up ,but the images this lens is capable of ,well see what you think.
BTW it was mint and came with a sigma lens hood ,all for £30. 033.jpg013.jpg022.jpg

Last edited:

STM

I am not really sure what you mean by "amusing" but I have no fewer than 14 MF AIS fixed focal length NIkkors from 16mm f/2.8 fisheye to 600mm f/4 super telephoto. I personally have no need for autofocus, or auto exposure for that matter. And my AIS lenses will still be going strong 20 years from now when the majority of the current crop of plastic Nikkors have been stashed in an attic or landfill somewhere.