D600 memory access light on after recall fix

bip

Did any member have this problem?

I sent in my D600 for recall repair. Got the camera back yesterday and noticed that the memory access light is blinking after the camera is turned off. Try to reset it and does not work. The Sandisk SD card feels warm after taken out. Leave the battery in the camera and the battery is completely drained in the morning. Contact Nikon support this morning and was asked to try couple of things after work. Will update after I plug in a full charged battery.

BackdoorArts

Yep, sounds like an issue with the card. I'm assuming the light doesn't flash without a card in, right? Try the same card in the other slot if you think the card is fine. If the card doesn't give you an issue in the other slot then you may have an issue with the slot, in which case you should contact Nikon. But try another card in the slot first.

aroy

Yes a hot card means the camera was trying to access it. Switching off does not stop access to the card as the camera is trying to finish writing. As advised check the card (on another camera or a card reader), if that is fine the check the slot (by putting in another card). If slot is bad then send it back for repairs.

bip

I checked a few cards already. This problem exists after the recall fix. The camera seems to function but start blinking after I switch off. Without the card, it does not blink. I am putting a charged battery and see if it drains it in the morning. Thanks for your feedback. Most likely I have to deal with Nikon support on Monday.

BackdoorArts

While I've never had issue with the card access light not going off, I will admit that I've been surprised at just how slow access to the card can be in my D600. I've got a 92Mbps Class 10 card in there, and the display time on image reviews is sometimes suspiciously slow. Not something I ever noticed on my D7000, which is supposed similarly configured.

I tried doing some digging to see if there are others reporting similar issues, but there's so much noise out there about the shutter that it's hard to find links talking about anything else when you include "D600" and "Problem" in your search criteria. I also couldn't find anything on the Nikon USA Service Knowledgebase.

Regardless of whether this is a systematic issue or not (I suspect not and believe it could have more to do in cases like mine with worn/dirty contacts internally or on the card with lots of use), given that you've just gotten yours back from their service center I would contact them and insist that they take it back, inspect it and correct a problem that was not there prior to service.

hrphotography

I have also noticed that the data transfer rate through the camera is slower than when you put SD in card reader. I don't think D600 supports USB 3.0. But more advanced cameras do (may be D800 or D4).
Returning to the main topic there may be software glitch, during the first week my camera stopped turning off. The software may be reading the card continuously causing it to get hot and lose power. I fixed my problem (which is different from yours) by taking off the battery overnight and then turning the switch to on position and then putting the battery in and turning the switch to the "light" position before turning it off. It fixed the problem, didn't occur again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bip

Just to update, got my camera back after reporting the memory access light blinking problem. Nikon replaced the main PCB, connector FPC, Shutter mechanism. It seems to be fine now.

aroy

Just to update, got my camera back after reporting the memory access light blinking problem. Nikon replaced the main PCB, connector FPC, Shutter mechanism. It seems to be fine now.

Congratulations. Not only are your problems solved, you got a new shutter.