Cant access Focus Modes - please help

jayman

I bought the d3100 a few days ago - this is my first DLSR. I cant access the focus mode on this cam - it is grayed out. what do i need to do to access the focus mode? Please advise.

jayman

I tryed factory reset - still the same cant access focus mode. Im not sure if it is off. I dont know where to check it... To be honest, if I knew this camera was so advanced I would have never bought it.... :(

DraganDL

Focus mode? Do you mean "auto focus" mode? Just like in another thread of yours, you forgot to state which lens(es) EXACTLY you use? Might be that the lens is a "manual focus only" type or you switched it to "manual" focus mode...

Last edited:

jayman

I looked into the manual, thanks for the link. Do I need to mess with focus mode if shooting video? It seems only useful for taking stills. Pardon my beginner knowledge. Thanks again for any help.

480sparky

If you have a moving subject, you may want to choose a focus mode that will 'track' it. Otherwise, the subject may become OOF in the video.

However, if you use the in-cam microphone, you'll most likely hear the focus motor more than anything else.

jayman

Well, my problem stems still from the fact that focus mode is not selectable. I looked in the manual how to set it but when i go to select it with the camera, it is grayed out and wont let me select it. I have tried P S AM modes to no avail....Im not sure what im doing wrong. I tried default settings too.....Im using a sdxc 64gb card. Does it matter? Im not sure..Please advise. Thanks

jayman

None of the above. I returned it and got a refund. Thanks all for the attempts to help, but I have too much going on to devote the time needed to learn such an advanced instrument.

It may not be advanced to some of you, but just remember way back when you didn't know anything about dlsr's.

No one came out of the womb with knowledge of DLSR's....lol just saying. Thanks again. :cool:

480sparky

No one came out of the womb knowing how to drive, either. And I'd venture to say driving is far more complicated than using a DSLR.

DraganDL

Not a big problem - if you find DSLRs too complicated to use, and still want/need to be able to take good photos, get yourself a decent point'n'shoot, like Nikon P7700 or Canon S100 (S110) and you cannot go wrong...

Last edited: