Need advice for a picture

super

Thank you - So I have Nikon D5100. I can just set the camera on HDR mode OR long exposure and I will get the similar results ? No need of editing in photoshop or any software magic ?

1) HDR
2) Long exposure

Both are modes or settings in the camera ?

ShootRaw

Read post #4 and HDR is more to it then that..You must have software to edit your HDR pics..It is a combo of three different pics rolled together..

Lee532

The D5100 has HDR mode but if memory serves me well it only combines 2 frames in camera to complete the photo. I'm not an HDR expert but usually an HDR shot is anywhere from 3 to 7 (if not more) shots combined later on your computer.

Deezey

For the water shot you can get a circular polarizer and shoot either earlier or later in the day. Try not to shoot at noon because the light will be harsher. Get as slow a shutter speed as you can. Anything over a second is usually good.

With HDR the more shots usually equals smoother results. So stick with 5 to 7 shots. To get the best results you should invest in an HDR editor.

super

The D5100 has HDR mode but if memory serves me well it only combines 2 frames in camera to complete the photo. I'm not an HDR expert but usually an HDR shot is anywhere from 3 to 7 (if not more) shots combined later on your computer.

So the train HDR shot is not possible with D5100 as you mentioned it does not support more than 2 frames ?

Or by frame, you mean number of pictures and it is just about taking 3 to 9 pictures or may be 12 and then blending them together ?

Last edited:

Horoscope Fish

You could get a good approximation of the water effects by using an ND filter, a low ISO, a small aperture and a sufficiently long exposure. That's not so much the hard part, IMO. The HDR you're seeing in that shot, though, that can be a lot more difficult. Keep your expectations in line and you could begin to approach what you're seeing in that shot. I'd guess the HDR effect in that shot, though, required no less than a half dozen exposures. Probably more.

Last edited:

super

So the train HDR shot is not possible with D5100 as you mentioned it does not support more than 2 frames ?

Or by frame, you mean number of pictures and it is just about taking 3 to 9 pictures or may be 12 and then blending them together ?

any advice for this ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Scott Murray

HDR is basically taking numerous shots at different exposures eg. -3exp, -2exp, -1exp, 0exp, +1exp, +2exp, +3exp compensation and then in Photoshop merge them. You would need to use a tripod for best results and on a non moving subject.

Lee532

The D5100 has a built in HDR mode which captures two frames at different exposure settings and blends them in camera to produce a single HDR image. As it only uses two frames the range of exposure is limited compared to a 3,5 or 7 frame image that is put together in post processing software. So the camera can do it but I suspect the image you linked would have used a few more frames.

STM

This is a very easy shot to reproduce. You simply set the camera on a tripod and set the exposure for about a second or so. An overcast day is best because there will be no direct light, and hence shadows, and the overall light levels will be lower. Also, shoot very early or late in the day to take advantage of the lower light levels