New member from Rochester, NY

mathom33

Hello,
I just joined the site to begin doing research on new equipment. I just sold all of my gear I had in order to help pay for some plane tickets to see my 87 year old grandmother in CA.

I'm hoping to figure out a way to buy a D7100 before July. I have two weddings in CA which I will be a part of; my best friend is getting married in July and my sister in August. It's going to be tough to come up with the money for a new camera being that I'm broke veteran and struggling college student. My wife says I'm an optimist with my head in the clouds.

The camera I just sold was a Panasonic GX1. I had a Rokinon 7.5mm, a Lumix 14-42. 45-150, lumix 45-200, canon 50mm f1.8, and the only lenses I kept were my handed to me by my father. One is a Nikkor 50mm f1.8 and the other is a Nikkor-P 105mm f2.5. For older lenses, they area favorite of the adapted lenses I have shot with.

Enough about me... I'll be lurking around reading as much as I can and drooling over the gear that I can't afford.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pictaker64

welcome aboard,there are places you can rent bodies and lenses if you get close and have insufficient funds for a purchase,just keep that in mind

mikeh32217

Welcome to Nikonites from one vet to another.

I spent to summer of 1970 in Rochester. I remember the president came and I stood on an overpass and watched the motorcade go by underneath.

mathom33

Welcome to Nikonites from one vet to another.

I spent to summer of 1970 in Rochester. I remember the president came and I stood on an overpass and watched the motorcade go by underneath.

I'm not sure which overpass you are referring to; I moved here in August and have either spent my time in class/studying, or in Syracuse. When my wife and I have gone out to meet someone for dinner I usually spot places that would make a good place to shoot. But now without a camera it's a little tough.

welcome aboard,there are places you can rent bodies and lenses if you get close and have insufficient funds for a purchase,just keep that in mind

Thanks for the info, I ended up looking into renting a body and lens and it's not worth the expense. If I was working and didn't have a camera by that time, I would look into it. But I'm on a (tight) fixed income and would rather hold on to that money and use it to buy something when I can afford it.

My son is ex Army Military Intelligence and is now going to school on the Post 911 GI Bill. He works in the Student Veterans Affairs office as a Student worker. It is not an easy life but the degree is worth it.

mathom33

My son is ex Army Military Intelligence and is now going to school on the Post 911 GI Bill. He works in the Student Veterans Affairs office as a Student worker. It is not an easy life but the degree is worth it.

Thank you for the information, as soon as my wife is off the computer I can start filling out the information for the profile.

As you know through your son,it definitely is not easy. I worked extremely hard to advance in a rate that was locked up; money was definitely good and the benefits were amazing. It's tough relying on one income and not knowing where life is taking you. I definitely have my work cut out and I constantly have to remind myself that college was the reason I joined the Navy.

It's funny, looking back, I never considered marriage, dogs, and the constant pestering to start a family, all while working on a degree in a tanked economy. Others have worked with less and accomplished far greater things than what I will have to show for when I'm done with this chapter of my life.

Alan

Welcome. I lived in Rochester in the early 90's. I enjoyed it there. My son spent 5 years in the military and then used his GI bill as well. It was a starving student but now has a really great job. One of the major reasons he was hired was because he was a veteran. Hang in there and "thanks for you service."

mathom33

Here is an album of photos that I took in 2013. They were all taken with a Panasonic GX1 which I sold due to financial need.

Most of the photos are of my dogs playing in the yard. In case you notice a few pictures that are OOF, I'm aware of it. I posted them in order to show in-laws the photos I wished had come out focused.

If you have any C&C on anything, feel free to post it! I am always open to learn something.

WARNING- Picture heavy!

Zenfolio | Miguel Thompson | 2013 recap

Last edited:

sonicbuffalo_RIP

I'm not sure which overpass you are referring to; I moved here in August and have either spent my time in class/studying, or in Syracuse. When my wife and I have gone out to meet someone for dinner I usually spot places that would make a good place to shoot. But now without a camera it's a little tough.

Thanks for the info, I ended up looking into renting a body and lens and it's not worth the expense. If I was working and didn't have a camera by that time, I would look into it. But I'm on a (tight) fixed income and would rather hold on to that money and use it to buy something when I can afford it.

My wife's from Syberia-cuse....and I lived there for over 30 years before moving south to Raleigh-Durham. I am a veteran too, and want to thank you for your service. Our son has spent the last 16 years in the Army....and is moving to Germany for the next several years before he retires. He's signed up for the next 4 years so he'll get in his 20. Wishing you the best in saving for a new camera. Nice to see someone from Central New York.