Okc

Chase_

So next week is spring break and I'm going to Oklahoma City. Anyone know of any good things or places to take pictures??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BackdoorArts

I've only been to the Bricktown area, which has some interesting old and repurposed structures, along with a cool little waterway running through it. I believe @Pretzel is far more familiar with the area and will likely have some suggestions.

Pretzel

OKC - wow! MANY cool spots! Lake Hefner is in the area, and at sunset... SPECTACULAR! There's a little miniature lighthouse built there that I've shot with an iPhone before, but never had the chance to get back with my DSLR yet. DYING to do so though! It's on the north side of OKC. Lots of sailboats during the warmer months too.

Near OKC, a bit farther north, is Edmond, and LifeChurch has a huge cross that people like to shoot from time to time. I've only glanced at it while passing on the highway, and haven't been to that site yet, but have seen some interesting photos. Not sure what else there might be to shoot that far north, though.

Downtown, probably the most diverse for opportunities, there's the Murrah Building Memorial to the bombing victims. Lots of cool opportunities for shots there, but it's simply amazing to visit at night, and as @BackdoorHippie mentioned, it's very close to the Bricktown area, which is also quite scenic and fun. You can get a lot of long exposure shots there at night as well if it's not too crowded, and the Centennial Fountain is down there (nice during the day, lit up at night). Not too far away is the Myriad Gardens. Downtown is just full of 'em... one street going into downtown... Robinson I think? Looking either due north or south (it's been a while) you can catch all the old churches with the downtown looming tall behind them. Sorry, can't remember which side it's on though.

Then there's the National Cowboy/Western Heritage Museum with a lot of cool sculptures, but they limit photos in certain areas. I can't tell ya where, but they give ya a guide that maps it out pretty well.

The zoo is quite picturesque and well layed out... go on a weekday if ya can, as the weekends get hectic!

Plus, as you can see in my 365 thread, I'm a HUGE fan of parking garages, particularly the top levels. St. Anthony's give ya a nice view of downtown OKC and the skyline.

Not too far away is Guthrie, the "original" capital before the State Seal was stolen and relocated. VERY historic downtown area, and some of the BEST Burnt-end rib tips in the country at the Stables Cafe!!! Just ask for the "Rib Basket" and you won't regret it! It's HUGE, so you might want to split it or plan on taking some home for a 2nd meal. (Yes, we ride a lot in the warmer months, and the Stables is regular stop!) It might even take a few shots, stitched together to make a pano to catch all the food. ;)

SW of OKC, there's the Wichita Mountain Refuge. It's on my list of "get there" this year. About 700 or so free range buffalo/bison, prairie dogs and longhorn cattle. It ought to be good for place for pics, but I haven't visited there at all yet. It might be a bit of a drive, but not too horribly far. If I had to guess, I'd say a little over an hour one way.

It's been a couple of years since I've been into OKC proper, and I haven't visited with my camera yet, so check ahead on some of the places to make sure they're open or not under renovation, but OKC is FULL of opportunity for someone willing to take the time to look. Lots of older sections of town with a lot of character just strewn about randomly, too. PLUS, BONUS, they have Dunkin' Donuts there, which Tulsa just hasn't seen fit to attact yet... :(

Hope that helps, and looking forward to your pics!

Last edited:

Chase_

OKC - wow! MANY cool spots! Lake Hefner is in the area, and at sunset... SPECTACULAR! There's a little miniature lighthouse built there that I've shot with an iPhone before, but never had the chance to get back with my DSLR yet. DYING to do so though! It's on the north side of OKC. Lots of sailboats during the warmer months too.

Near OKC, a bit farther north, is Edmond, and LifeChurch has a huge cross that people like to shoot from time to time. I've only glanced at it while passing on the highway, and haven't been to that site yet, but have seen some interesting photos. Not sure what else there might be to shoot that far north, though.

Downtown, probably the most diverse for opportunities, there's the Murrah Building Memorial to the bombing victims. Lots of cool opportunities for shots there, but it's simply amazing to visit at night, and as @BackdoorHippie mentioned, it's very close to the Bricktown area, which is also quite scenic and fun. You can get a lot of long exposure shots there at night as well if it's not too crowded, and the Centennial Fountain is down there (nice during the day, lit up at night). Not too far away is the Myriad Gardens. Downtown is just full of 'em... one street going into downtown... Robinson I think? Looking either due north or south (it's been a while) you can catch all the old churches with the downtown looming tall behind them. Sorry, can't remember which side it's on though.

Then there's the National Cowboy/Western Heritage Museum with a lot of cool sculptures, but they limit photos in certain areas. I can't tell ya where, but they give ya a guide that maps it out pretty well.

The zoo is quite picturesque and well layed out... go on a weekday if ya can, as the weekends get hectic!

Plus, as you can see in my 365 thread, I'm a HUGE fan of parking garages, particularly the top levels. St. Anthony's give ya a nice view of downtown OKC and the skyline.

Not too far away is Guthrie, the "original" capital before the State Seal was stolen and relocated. VERY historic downtown area, and some of the BEST Burnt-end rib tips in the country at the Stables Cafe!!! Just ask for the "Rib Basket" and you won't regret it! It's HUGE, so you might want to split it or plan on taking some home for a 2nd meal. (Yes, we ride a lot in the warmer months, and the Stables is regular stop!) It might even take a few shots, stitched together to make a pano to catch all the food. ;)

SW of OKC, there's the Wichita Mountain Refuge. It's on my list of "get there" this year. About 700 or so free range buffalo/bison, prairie dogs and longhorn cattle. It ought to be good for place for pics, but I haven't visited there at all yet. It might be a bit of a drive, but not too horribly far. If I had to guess, I'd say a little over an hour one way.

It's been a couple of years since I've been into OKC proper, and I haven't visited with my camera yet, so check ahead on some of the places to make sure they're open or not under renovation, but OKC is FULL of opportunity for someone willing to take the time to look. Lots of older sections of town with a lot of character just strewn about randomly, too. PLUS, BONUS, they have Dunkin' Donuts there, which Tulsa just hasn't seen fit to attact yet... :(

Hope that helps, and looking forward to your pics!

Hey, this is my first day in OKC! I've been to the museum and it's real depressing! I'm headed home tomorrow but I will post all my pictures tomorrow in the car!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk