Self Timer Question Please Reply

scoobychief

hi im totally new to the dslr camera and I have just purchased the Nikon d3100 today my question is, I do a lot of fishing and when alone and if I catch I would like to take photos, so ive got my tripod setup and everything is ready I press the self timer button round round holding this big carp (LoL) after 10 seconds it takes the picture, so my question is can it then take another picture or another 2 or 3 or 4 pictures after the initial 1?. please reply. thanks

Mike D90

Yes. In the Custom settings menu you will find a menu where you can set the camera to take several shots. I cannot remember exactly where it is but its there. Have you tried reading your brand new manual?

Edit: Was made aware that the D3100 does not have this option

Last edited:

WayneF

Models like the D7100 have the C3 menu for the timer to take multiple shots, but the D3100 does not. And some accept a remote shutter button (remote control), but I think the D3100 timer will only take one picture.

EDIT: This would work, for $16.

http://www.amazon.com/NEEWER®-Digital-Control-Cameras-Compatibility/dp/B0044QMIH4

It is a programmable timer that plugs into the D3100 MC-DC2 port (compatibility shown on D3100 manual page 177).
It can do many things, including taking a few pictures at a specified time interval (programmable).
It would be used instead of the camera timer (it does its own timing).

It is an exact copy of the Nikon MC-36 (except is compatible with the D3100). I have the same thing (a different rebranded import brand, for a different Nikon camera port), but it works very well, and is inexpensive.

Camera auto focus would be different.
The camera timer focuses when you first press the shutter button, and uses same focus when the timer trips.
This one would focus when the timer tripped each time (which is better, if it can find you).

Both ways, if you are not standing where it tries to focus, and it has nothing to focus on, it could fail to activate.
Manual camera focus would always work, if correct.

Last edited:

Horoscope Fish

Models like the D7100 have the C3 menu for the timer to take multiple shots, but the D3100 does not. And some accept a remote shutter button (remote control), but I think the D3100 timer will only take one picture.

Correct. The D3100 does not support multiple exposures using the self-timer. What you need is a wireless remote.

scoobychief

Thanks for all the quick replies only read the user manual and no mention haven't looked at the manual that came on cd but will look further into waynef idea of this inexpensive solution.

WayneF

It should do what you want (practice once at home with it first), but if interested in it, note the Amazon supplier ships from Hong Kong, which in my experience is reliable, but can take two weeks.

Under the small "2 New" link there with it (Amazon page), there is a New Jersey shipper for same overall price. And you will find several of them on Ebay (search for MC DC2 timer), most of which also ship from Hong Kong. Not many specifically mention D3100 because camera is new, but if MC DC2 connector, it will work in D3100 too. I like Amazon though, because it has a decent amount of customer protection implied.

Last edited: