Nikon D5300 - 1080p 50 fps First Shots

bventura

https://vimeo.com/87434707
Those were my first captures with my brand new Nikon D5300.

All was shot at 1080p 50fps, pure manual settings. Neutral color, no post-production correction.
I've only used the AF-S Nikkor 18-140mm VR lenses, no rig... just my hands.
I'm a rookie in DSLR video world, still much too learn, specially talking about Shutter Speed vs ISO...
I'm loving this Nikon Model, because I've experienced (not for too long, indeed) shooting video with the famous 5D and I think the results I've got with the D5300 are sincerely sharper! Specially in Low Light! No painful issues!
What do you guys think?
Cheers

Last edited:

bventura

Thanks guys. I work only in video stuff, I know many of you are more inside the world of photography, I confess that I know little of photography because I only work with professional video cameras... I bought the D5300 out of curiosity and to explore the DSLR video... I thought the video features of this camera were fantastic and did not regret. At all!

Deezey

Hahaha. Right you are. I hated paying for the video aspect of my D610. I won't ever use it. But I am glad to see you are putting yours to good use!

DraganDL

"I work only in video stuff"

Nice video. Done in a "tv commercial style". But, I must say I'm truly surprised with your decision to use a DSLRs for video only (I mean, if I would have been a dedicated videographer, I wouldn't even think of getting a DSLR)...:confused: Then again, if you are considering a possibility to "widen" your scope of interests as to become involved in photography too, you got yourself the right camera...

Last edited:

bventura

I understand your point of view DraganDL. Actually I work with professional camcorders, on a TV broadcaster. So my everyday job is related with video and TV production (Sports News Channel, in Portugal). But for shooting video as a hobby, for personal stuff, there's nothing like to have a DSLR to carry around and take care of business. And I love the colors you can get with Nikon DSLRs. The sensors are all made for photography, so they're made to achieve perfection in every frame, so imagine that all together on video. It's art, you can't do that on camcorders, at least for this price range... And shooting video on DSLRs feels more passionate, more personal. You do your framework as if it was photography business, press the "rec" button and wait with patience for the magic moment.

RRRoger

I use my D5300 for stills and Video.
I prefer 1080 P60 and not just for Slo Motion.
The playback is very smooth and the High quality images are very nice.

elmafudd2

Wonderful! You have certainly inspired me to get my D5300 recording also!!! One question and rather stupid I guess, do you focus using the focussing on the lens?
Cheers and very well done!