D 7000 not shutting off

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Remove the battery, leave it out overnight. Remove the memory cards. Re-insert the battery, format the memory cards in the camera. Usually this does the trick. This sometimes happen when you attempt to remove a memory card while the camera is still trying to write to it, or turn the camera off while it's still writing to the card.

480sparky

I'm a newbie and you just went over my head...what do you mean??

When you turn the camera off with the switch, does the camera simply NOT turn off at all? You can still take photos? Review them? etc.

Or does the camera simply take more time than you think it should to turn off?

Capote

Now I see where I went wrong, I was shooting continuos Hi and didn't wait long enough... its a beautifull camera but there should be a light/warning that its still working before you remove the card....Thanks for the help.

PapaST

There might/should be. If you look to the right of the INFO button there should be a light there. It should flicker when it's writing data to the card.

Capote

I want to thank all of you for your support, the problem is fixed....actually fixed itself, there for a moment I thought my camera was broken. When this happen, I could not take any pictures, do any settings ar shut it off. I am glad what ever it was it won't happen again. Here is the picture I was taking

Deer.jpg

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
It sounds like you need a faster memory card. It shouldn't take that long to write to the card, although if you just fired off 10 shots then yes, it will take time for the buffer to clear. What are you using in there now?

PapaST

If you use continuous Hi often then I would look at getting a faster card. The Lexar Platinum II 100x is a good card but there are faster ones that won't bottleneck your shots as much. I've had that happen to me before. On continuous hi you really eat away at your buffer. All of a sudden, once your buffer is full the camera won't allow you to turn off, actuate, focus, etc.

As you take pictures you can see in the bottom right corner of the viewfinder an "r" along with a number. That number represents the estimated amount of pictures you have in your buffer. This number fluctuates as you take pictures (goes higher as memory is able to write to card and goes lower as you snap off pictures faster than it can write).