New to the Forum and DSLR

tx_engineer

I purchased a package with the D3100 and two lenses (18-55 & 55-200) last night. This is my first "real" camera so I have tons to learn.

Just wanted to say hello. I've also posed in the "new to forum" section.

Rick M

I purchased a package with the D3100 and two lenses (18-55 & 55-200) last night. This is my first "real" camera so I have tons to learn.

Just wanted to say hello. I've also posed in the "new to forum" section.

I started out with the same combo when I got into digital, enjoy!

tx_engineer

It seemed to be too good of a price to pass up. I'm going on a cruise in about 3 weeks so I need to get some basics before I go and then I plan to really take lots of photos on the trip. Maybe I will end up with 1 good photo.

wev

Contributor
Welcome
Start by taking pictures -- lots of pictures (they cost nothing). Don't be concerned about creating art or capturing a moment, just learn the buttons and settings and what they do and don't do. Take the same picture over and over, varying the fstop, iso, aperture, etc and compare the results (make notes as you go). See what happens. You have two good basic lenses (I use the later as my primary) and a nice camera; as with all arts, you must first master the medium. It's sort of like a second language -- when you stop translating in your head and just know what you are saying, you are there.

And don't hesitate to post pictures here -- if these guys can stand my efforts, they can stand anything.

J_Murphy

Welcome
Start by taking pictures -- lots of pictures (they cost nothing). Don't be concerned about creating art or capturing a moment, just learn the buttons and settings and what they do and don't do. Take the same picture over and over, varying the fstop, iso, aperture, etc and compare the results (make notes as you go). See what happens. You have two good basic lenses (I use the later as my primary) and a nice camera; as with all arts, you must first master the medium. It's sort of like a second language -- when you stop translating in your head and just know what you are saying, you are there.

And don't hesitate to post pictures here -- if these guys can stand my efforts, they can stand anything.
This is excellent advise. In order to become better you first have to makes lots of mistakes. Have patience and basically just enjoy using your camera.

scoobychief

Congratulations, in time post some of your creations, I too will hope to do the same bought the camera today and its my first venture into the dslr market and my trully first proper camera.

carguy

Welcome! I shot a D40/18-55/55-200 for many years. Solid setup you have with the D3100 for sure.
Enjoy the cruise :)

maybe take pics the first day or two in AUTO. Check the settings and hop over to Aperture Priority and play with it that way. if you feel like it end up the trip on Manual emulating the settings from the previous shots.

More importantly, enjoy the cruise and the company and capture a few moments to remember :)

tx_engineer

So I used Aperture Priority for most of my shots. Here are a couple. Still lots of work to go but certainly enjoying it so far.

Cruise 2014 080.jpgCruise 2014 083.jpgCruise 2014 139.jpg

Blacktop

Nice shots. I noticed your last shot was at ISO 3200. I have no idea what that shutter speed is.1073741/2147483628
1073741/211073741/214748362847483628