Active D-Lighting, and some other strange things...

alfaholic

Banned
Hello everyone...

Here where I live people have some strange standards. I am a musician, and I am no longer performing because no one wants to listen to me playing music. It is strange because I played all around the world, and everyone was happy. It is not like I am some great musician, but if at number 1 is some is kid learning music, and 10 is Chick Corea, or Jordan Rudess for example, I am somewhere at 5. Of course, when it comes to producing, arranging and studio work, that number may come closer to 10, but that is not important in live performance.
At the same time people make good money with music, they are very successful, and everyone talks about them all the time, but the true is that they are somewhere at number 2 or 3, and as a matter of fact, they never get any better, they are the same as their fathers and grandfathers, and that is their best quality, they are the same as anyone else.
Everyone who wants to go further, to advance, and learn some new, and better things is doomed.

Two days a go a friend called me and asked for help in photographing a baptism. I never did anything similar, but I agreed to help him as much as I can.
Then the whole hells breaks lose...
I read a lot about wedding photography, and learned so many things about the gear, techniques, but here everything is just upside down, almost the same as with my music. Most of photographers have D70, D80, D90, and just some of them D7000, but they are minority. Everyone is shooting with P mode, and with a flash directly at the subjects face. There is no aesthetics at all, there is nothing more than sharp faces, and all everyone is satisfied with that kind of work, everything else will be unsatisfactory. Shallow depth of field, some artistic photos are all like from another planet. Everyone shoots JPGs, they do not have time to shoot RAW and edit because they sell their photos the same night they finish shooting.

I am shooting RAW and many options are turned off in my camera, but while I needed to give them my SD card right after we finish the shooting, I turned all options on in the menu, noise reduction, Active D-Lighting, lens distortion control, picture control to neutral, just to be sure not to make any mistake during that shooting.
But after all was finished, my friend called me and told me that he and all other people was not satisfied with my photos. This is not the first time that D7000 performs worse than D70 he says, which is the holy grail in this business, it works flawlessly in P mode.

Here you have 3 photos, first one is D70, second one is my D7000 with settings mentioned above, and the third one is D7000 but made with standard picture control, and without Active D-Lighting.
For me all 3 are unusable, but as I already said, people here have some strange standards, and they want that kind of photography.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

So finally, I have 3 questions:

1: Active D-Lighting, why highlights are burned when using that option in the photo number 2? Does this option take care of the shadows and highlights, so this can never happen?

2: How is the situation in your area in relation to my first few sentences? Does people there allow you to go further and do your job better every day, or is there still some forces that wants things to stay the same always?

3: What do you think about D70 vs D7000 comparison in this case, and the (meaningless) story about it being the holly grail in this business here, and better than D7000?

I am sorry for this long post, but I am really confused, how can people be that static and unwilling to progress, and be better than they are...

aced19

Just a few comments.
I live in US, Arkansas and some don't want you to do better some do. Just the way it is.

Now to your photos.
Looks like to me the people being photographed don't look happy at all. So that said you didn't have a chance to make them happy no matter what you did.
NEVER and I mean NEVER give them the SD card after shooting. Very few photographers in the world can produce great photos straight out of there camera. Always pp your photos.

I take mainly sports photos and I have many clients that have gone out and bought a camera and think their going to get great photos. They soon learn there's more to it. 90% can't produce the quality of photos I produce. It's all in the pp. So it comes back to never give them the SD card. If you seen my photos off the SD card I would have many unhappy people also.

I have the D70, D90 and D7000 and all are great cameras. Never had a problem with them.

Horoscope Fish

First and foremost, turning on every option in the menus is not a guarantee you will get great photos. I think you would have done far better putting the camera on "Auto".

alfaholic

Banned
Just a few comments.
I live in US, Arkansas and some don't want you to do better some do. Just the way it is.

Now to your photos.
Looks like to me the people being photographed don't look happy at all. So that said you didn't have a chance to make them happy no matter what you did.
NEVER and I mean NEVER give them the SD card after shooting. Very few photographers in the world can produce great photos straight out of there camera. Always pp your photos.

I take mainly sports photos and I have many clients that have gone out and bought a camera and think their going to get great photos. They soon learn there's more to it. 90% can't produce the quality of photos I produce. It's all in the pp. So it comes back to never give them the SD card. If you seen my photos off the SD card I would have many unhappy people also.

I have the D70, D90 and D7000 and all are great cameras. Never had a problem with them.

Thank you...

I gave SD card to my friend who called me in the first place to help him. Here no one shoots RAW, that is just the way they are working. When they finish shooting they leave for 30 minutes to print all photos on paper, then come back to sell the photos, and that is it. There is no time for post processing.
It is nonsense but this is how things are here from the beginning of the time. :)

Oh yes, the are sad in this picture, but that is totally different dimension, my concerns are about technical stuff.

First and foremost, turning on every option in the menus is not a guarantee you will get great photos. I think you would have done far better putting the camera on "Auto".

Oh, yes of course. :)
I did not turn ON all those options randomly, I wanted Active D-Lighting to keep at my shadows and highlights, Neutral picture control to make those horrible "flash in the face" shadows as low as possible, and because I used 18-105 I needed Distortion Control turned ON, so people does not look so strange. I can still see some distortion, but it is ok.

aced19

What I've learned about inside flash. Set camera on 400 ISO , 1/60 and f/5.6 and your flash one notch up with bounce card. Should be a good place to start.

Back to your trying to do better. Maybe you should be the one to start pp your photos then your pictures would turn out better than your competition. Time to change how things are always done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Horoscope Fish

Were you shooting JPG or were you shooting in RAW? Because if you were shooting in RAW, as your opening post would seem to indicate, many of the options you turned on in the menus won't have any effect. Options in Picture Control (Neutral, Landscape, Vivid, etc.) won't affect RAW files and neither does Distortion Control, or Active D-Ligthing for instance, because a RAW file bypasses *all* in-camera processing.

Again, if you want to hand someone a photo that is good to go right of of the camera, shoot JPG; otherwise the shots need to be processed in something like Lightroom or Photoshop. RAW files, right out of the camera, will almost always have low contrast, flat colors and need sharpening at the very least.

You say no one shoots RAW? That is just the way it is?

That is telling us that quality is just not that important. In that case then you need to set up some of the preset picture controls for that situation. you can adjust Brightness, Contrast, Sharpness ETC for each situation. Then put it on program and shoot away. But you are never going to get consistently the best photos.

Scott Murray

So finally, I have 3 questions:

1: Active D-Lighting, why highlights are burned when using that option in the photo number 2? Does this option take care of the shadows and highlights, so this can never happen?

2: How is the situation in your area in relation to my first few sentences? Does people there allow you to go further and do your job better every day, or is there still some forces that wants things to stay the same always?

3: What do you think about D70 vs D7000 comparison in this case, and the (meaningless) story about it being the holly grail in this business here, and better than D7000?

Read more: http://nikonites.com/d7000/20539-active-d-lighting-some-other-strange-things.html#ixzz2tbh5c5Vc

#1. I do not use active D-lighting so cannot answer this.

#2. I have my own style and people either like it or hate it, I will not change my style for others. If they do not like ti then they can go to another photographer.

#3. A camera is only a tool, its what you do with it that makes the difference.

I honestly would have picked a better spot away from anything distracting, why is a baptism in a coffee shop?
I would have picked out some areas near the baptism and said lets get some shots from here, also I would have talked and joked with them to get happy faces.

In all honesty I think you have leaned away from your own style and have tried to accommodate anothers style. I would not have done this, I also never give my SD cards away, If shooting RAW I always PP. If shooting JPEG I always PP. No if's buts or maybe's. I do not do as others do especially if it can directly impact the quality of my work.

So in answer to all your questions I think you need to ask yourself something. If you were to do this again would you use the same location? Or change it? Would the location and lighting (natural/room etc) bring out the best in your photo? What would you do differently?