Lenses for D3100

Mattys_Mommy

I do not know where to post this but I have a question. I am new to this, I took one photography class and it was with film so I am completely new to digital. I just got the Nikon D3100. It comes with the 18-55mm lens which I've read isn't excellent but at the moment I do not have the funds for a new lens. So I have two questions one when I do have the funds which lens should I plan to get. I would like a multipurpose lens and my main focus will probably be photos of my son & pets and such. My second question is I have a Tamron 28-300mm lens on my old film Nikon N60, is that compatible with my D3100? Also would it be beneficial to use or better then the lens that came with it? I still do not even understand the different lens and what they do so I have a lot to learn! Also do I need to purchase an external flash? Any extra tips on how to get the most out of my camera would be greatly appreciated too. Thanks :)

hrphotography

Re: lenses

hello, you will have a better luck posting in D3100 forum.
I guess you already have an average multi purpose lens.
for son & pets, you will like a portrait lens, the good/average one is 50mm 1.8G. it will be like 75 mm on ur camera but thats ok too.
if your tamron is "Tamron AF 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di LD VC" then yes it will work.
D3100 will require a lens with built in focus motor.
good luck!

Last edited:

Mattys_Mommy

Thanks so much! I will check out that forum. That is the lens I have. Would you suggest to use it rather then the one that came with the camera or to use them each for different things. Is there certain things each would be better at? I have so much to learn! I'm so glad I found this site!

hrphotography

tamron would be a better all rounder, beyond 150mm you will start getting some bokeh effect.
if u get used to tamron, u can sell the kit lens and get the 50mm :)

Lawrence

Welcome to the forum.
Your kit lens, which you for some reason consider to be below average, is in fact an excellent lens and will take great photos. It is also a great lens for helping you decide what your next lens might be by learning to "zoom" with your feet.
The older hands here will advise that you set the focal distance to 35mm and shoot for a month, then do the same at 50mm. Don't change the focal length - change by moving yourself. This will help you gauge which better suits you for your needs.
I can't comment on the other lens simply because I don't know.
Best of luck.

RON_RIP

Ditto what Lawrence said. Do not be in a rush to get other lenses. The 2 lenses you have cover a lot of ground and your kit lens might amaze you. Practice locking in one focal length for a period of time and you will soon learn what suits you best. Then, and only then start looking for better lenses that cover the focal lengths that you prefer.

Jonathan

Yes, stick with what you have (I started with the D3100 and that kit lens). Join the D3100 community on Flickr to see what it can do. Start saving and snapping. You'll know when you're ready to move on and you can consider your options then, not now when you have neither the experience nor the money. That worked for me.

Eob

The first lens that I bought for my d3100 is the telephoto 55-300mm. I bought it refurbished for about 250, I think. Check out refurbished stuff, its on amazon and sites like adorama and cameta. They are much more affordable, and can be better than new because they were individually checked out by nikon workers, opposed to a new one off the assembly line. I'm really happy with my telephoto lens. Its great for taking pics of kids and animals. You can step back and snap shots while they are unaware to get some great candid shots. The long focal length also makes for great portraits.

My next lens is in the mail, 35mm 1.8 fixed lens. It can be found new for $199 on various sites. Because the d3100 has a smaller 'cropped' sensor, the actual view of 35mm is equivalent to 50mm, which is a normal view lens...close to what the human eye sees. Its supposed to be sharper than the kit lens. Since its fixed, you have to physically move closer or further from the subject or to create the composition desired. The kit lens has a max f number of 3.5, so at 1.8, this lens lets in a ton more light, letting you take pictures in low light without flash. I can't wait to play with it.

I wouldn't buy an external flash. I would check out refurb deals and get your paws on some new lenses asap. Have fun with your new camera!

also, try searching dslr on youtube. So many helpful videos!

Last edited:

weebee

True. Spending a few dollars more can give you a better warranty. Some companies have a 6 year warranty on their lenses.