How'd you do that?

Scott Murray

Apparently macro is a big deal in small parts but people are wondering how you managed a shot like you did, also I have noticed alot of people trying to mimic the same with out the finness. Here I wish to add photos of minute things and how it was performed and with which lens and gear and if any PP was involved including cropping and sharpening.

As what I am finding out is that a person wants a recipe for good macros... Well this like all photography does not happen, but we here at Nikonites are aiming to please so if you have a question of how a shot was done (on site) then ask here and the poster will be more than willing to share his or hers Technique.

Actually MOD's if we have photo's with out an explanation of how it was done or photos then please feel free to delete. This is a learning thread.

Last edited:

480sparky

You mean itty-bitty things, like:

WII148S.jpg

WII134S.jpg

and

WII107S.jpg

?

480sparky

Can't find the 'how to' shot for the first one, but it's the creases on the end of a toothpaste tube.

Second one is a push-pin:

WII134SF.jpg

Third one is a Phillips-head screw:

WII107SF.jpg

In all cases, they are taken with a Nikon PB-6 bellows and a reversed Nikkor 28/2.8 Ai. A BR-6 and BR-2A allow the lens to be reversed and control of the aperture for focus/composing and closing down for shooting.

The entire rig looks like this:

12reversed28onbellows.jpg

Here a link to the entire set-up.

All three are focus stacks, due to the exceedingly shallow DOF inherent to shooting such small subjects. Movement for the stacking is done with the focus rail.

Shot with a pair of 300ws monolights (sometimes with a reflector, sometimes with umbrellas). Shot in raw, images are processed in bulk with Capture NX2. Exported to JPEGs, where CombineZM does the focus stacking.

A bit of touch-up to remove the artifacts of stacking, and normal editing after that.