Raw or jpeg files - Evaluation - Comparison - Post production

Lamkarthess

I've tried both types of files. The only difficulty I met was the White balance adjustment for Jpeg files.
I never worried about file-size. Your respond for practical guidance is appreciated.

Dave_W

The Dude
Stick with RAW files. You can't really go wrong with them. Yes, they are bigger files but the ability to shoot RAW is one of the reasons people choose DSLR's over point and shoots (even though some of them now record the RAW files, too). But the most important reason is if you nail a monster shot, you will have much more latitude with it if captured as a RAW file instead of a JPEG.

I shot JPEG for a long time but finally moved to RAW after shooting a night shot in downtown. Great shot. Lucky I shot RAW plus JPEG fine. There was no way I could get the jpeg to look good at all. The RAW shot I was able to color correct with one slider in about 15 seconds. Since then I have only been shooting RAW and have found I get so much more information to work with.

Lamkarthess

Dave W,
Thanks for your prompt reply. I'd like to ask if the final quality of the raw/jpeg file (i.e. color, sharpness, tone etc.) have also to do with the quality of lenses (I noticed such a difference when using D or G type lenses.) Could you feedback on such points? I'm interested in specific differences. Thanks

Dave_W

The Dude
Lenses absolutely make a difference in the final product. However, there are very few lens aberrations that software cannot fix. Moreover, if you're shooting DX then you're only using the sweetspot of any lens. So even the less expensive "kit" lenses will give an image very similar to the more expensive so-called "professional" lense.
But the main drives of quality is the processor and your treatment of the RAW file. Both of these factors affect the final product far more than your choice of lens.

Dave_W

The Dude
As for lenses with different letters, the main difference between them are the speed of focus and internal vs. external focus motors. The images they produce will be indistinguishable from one another.

weebee

With some software you can increase sharpness and clarity of pictures taken with some lower quality lenses to an extent. But, yes, lenses are a key factor in photo quality.