D7100 Sensor Cleaning

Ron Carlson

I noticed a lot of specs on my last set of pics. I took my camera to a camera store and paid $45.00 to have the sensor cleaned "Professionally." When I got home I noticed little improvement. It looks as though he turned the large spots into a bunch of little spots. So did some research about wet and dry cleaning a D7100 sensor but it seems every blog or article is from non experts providing their own opinion. Some one did mention that because of the removal of the OLPF, there is no protection to the sensor itself, another stated there is a piece of glass or other material over the sensor for protection. I tried the Nikon web site to have it sent out for cleaning but all they did was provide me a PDF for a shipping label and no time frames for turn around and since I my camera is under warranty I clicked the box for it so now I don't know if it is going to cost me anything because sensor cleaning wasn't an option, I chose other and gave a description of the problem. So does anyone here have experience sending their equipment to Nikon? Is sensor cleaning covered under the warranty? Anyone know if there is some sort of protective glass over the sensor on the D7100? Has anyone cleaned their own sensor on the D7100? If so, was it wet or dry or both? I can't send my camera in yet as I am having a Paid photo shoot in a week. I'll deal with the minor blemishes in LR & PS. I did purchase the visible dust wet and dry kit on Amazon last night. I'll try dry first, then move to wet if needed, unless someone here educates me not to for any reason. Thanks.

Horoscope Fish

I don't think a sensor cleaning would be covered under warranty but Nikon MIGHT do it as a courtesy; most likely they'll charge you a little something for the service. A dirty sensor is not "breakage" it's an annoyance all digital photographers put up with. Local camera places around here (SoCal) charge around $60 for a sensor cleaning but my place at least does a bang up job and they spiff the whole body as well for that price. Doing a sensor cleaning yourself is also pretty easy once you get over being nervous about getting that close to your sensor. There are numerous videos on Youtube that demonstrate how to do it. Just Google "dslr sensor cleaning" to get started.

BackdoorArts

Sensor cleaning is definitely not covered under warranty and Nikon will charge you handsomely for the privilege.

There are several threads here on sensor cleaning, loads under the D600 forum, so feel free to poke around.

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Bring it back to your camera shop. My local camera store said sometimes after the shutter is fired a few times it shakes stuff down on the sensor again. They should reclean it no charge.

John P

I have had to clean my D7100 sensor 4 times since last april.
It is easy to do. Just order a wet cleaning kit. It will cost about the same as 1 cleaning. But you will be able to do 3 cleanings yourself.

John P

As a side note. Mine was very dirty right out of the box new.
The store I bought it from replaced it with one that was still dirty, just not as bad.
But it cleaned up easily.

Jonathan

I have had to clean my D7100 sensor 4 times since last april.
It is easy to do. Just order a wet cleaning kit. It will cost about the same as 1 cleaning. But you will be able to do 3 cleanings yourself.
Can you post a link to the kit you bought?

John P

American Recorder DSCK-117 Digital Sensor Cleaning Kit for Nikon D1/h/x/D100 and Canon D30/60/70/10D/Rebel

Sold on amazon.
Hope this helps.