custom picture control

yauman

No, since I shoot raw most of the time. On the occasions when I do shoot JPG, I set it to Vivid. I have a friend who set to vivid and then boost the gama. My old D90 had a Vivid and a Vivid II setting. I have been told by a few long time pros that Nikon's Vivid is more like Canon's neutral. I have not done a side-by-side comparison to find out how true that is.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
No, since I shoot raw most of the time. On the occasions when I do shoot JPG, I set it to Vivid. I have a friend who set to vivid and then boost the gama. My old D90 had a Vivid and a Vivid II setting. I have been told by a few long time pros that Nikon's Vivid is more like Canon's neutral. I have not done a side-by-side comparison to find out how true that is.

Vivid is not suited for people shots since it will make the skin tone Redish. Ken Rockwell is a proponent of vivid but I do not like it.

Not all cameras can import custom picture controls unlike the d700 or d3s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Horoscope Fish

I don't know if you'll find this helpful or not, but... Six Kinds of Picture Control. The explanations get more detailed as you dive into them. I learned a lot myself in the Quick Adjust section.

I've found happiness shooting Landscape with Sharpening at +7 or Standard with +1 to Saturation and +7 Sharpening.

sonicbuffalo_RIP

From what I've read the Nikon uses a SONY sensor....at least the D7100.....are made by SONY....have any of you read that too? I can't remember where I read that but SONY sensors are dynamite. I love the rich colors they provide.

Horoscope Fish

From what I've read the Nikon uses a SONY sensor....at least the D7100.....are made by SONY....have any of you read that too? I can't remember where I read that but SONY sensors are dynamite. I love the rich colors they provide.
Some Nikon cameras do use Sony sensors but other models use Toshiba sensors.

I'm thinking the 7100 uses the Toshiba 5105.

EDIT: Okay, Thom Hogan says the '7000 uses the Sony Exmor sensor while the '7100 uses the Toshiba 5105 as I thought. I don't know his source but there you go.

Last edited:

yauman

Here's the info. Nikon uses sensor chips from a couple other companies and Sony is one of them. They use Sony for the D7000 so it's not unreasonable to assume that it's for the D7100 too. Sony sensors are used in the D600/D610.

Remember Camera companies make cameras - they don't make micro-electronics, circuit boards chips, batteries etc. All these components are outsourced to contractors who deliver these component to spec for Nikon, Canon, etc to assemble.

yauman

I'm thinking the 7100 uses the Toshiba 5105.

You may be right since the D7100 is very different than the D7000 in terms of resolution and imaging.

I work in a camera store with an in-house repair facility. Next time a D7100 comes in I'll ask the tech to lift the sensor and see who makes it!

sonicbuffalo_RIP

You may be right since the D7100 is very different than the D7000 in terms of resolution and imaging.

I work in a camera store with an in-house repair facility. Next time a D7100 comes in I'll ask the tech to lift the sensor and see who makes it!

D7100's never go to the shop (just kidding)