Playback when shooting raw + jpeg?

Camera Fun

Ok. I'm ready to start trying some raw (yes I know there will be some cheers) and have set my D7000 for raw to card 1 and jpeg to card 2. I've done just a few shots inside and noticed when I play back the images on the lcd that the info on the bottom of the screen notes the image for both cards as jpeg. Is that correct? Have I set something up wrong in the camera? Is something wrong with the camera? Thanks.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
The camera thumbnail of the taken shot is always displayed in jpeg and if you shoot both raw + jpeg, the view will be of the jpeg. Not sure if you shoot raw only what it would say. But if you take your sd card to the computer and compare the raw with the jpeg you'll see the difference. Usually the jpeg looks better than the raw before it's processed.

WayneF

Your camera is fine, OK.

If you shoot only RAW, the LCD view will call it .NEF, but it still shows the small embedded JPG thumbnail in the Raw file. Because, the LCD can only show RGB (JPG)... it cannot show Raw. Raw is Raw, unprocessed, not ready to show.

Same with your computer, it cannot show Raw either, the video system is RGB. Raw software converts it to be RGB so that we can see it. The advantage is that we can see and control that conversion - we don't have to accept the unseen automatic conversion that JPG does. Somebody ought to see it. :)

Last edited:

nickt

I would check your settings and maybe format the cards. My d7000 shows raw or fine as I scroll through the pictures. Playback will go through one card, then go to the next, so it wont alternate as you view each shot. When you finish viewing nefs on card 1, it will go to card 2 and show all the jpg. But as Marcel said, you will only see the jpg version anyway so both sets will look the same except for the info.

Camera Fun

Total brain-freeze on my part. It doesn't do any good to set the parameters for the cards to if I don't set the image quality to raw and jpeg. Ugh!!!