D7100 1.3 format

nikonpup

1.5 format vs 1.3 format 70-300 @ 300mm saw this in a info video had to see it work. Anyone using this for 006.JPG007.JPGtele work? 1.5 = 450mm 1.3 = 600mm focus point (bird house) @ 80ft.

pictaker64

Most of my bird shots are cropped sensor,only working with the tamron 18-270 so any reach I can get I use.That tamron 150-600 is in my future,along with a nice prime 50mm,but,you work with what ya got.:D

Steve B

I use the crop mode on my D7100 for sports sometimes. Since it is a 2x crop mode it ends up being the same as my Olympus gear. For wildlife I usually just crop during pp if needed. Since it doesn't enlarge the view in the viewfinder it is of limited use for some applications.

D12345678

When I first heard about the 1.3 crop mode I thought it wouldn't be any use to me, but I've actually found it quite handy, mainly when using wide angle lenses. It's a good feature!

kamaccord

I would love to see more comparison shots of the 1.3 crop feature being that I tend to shoot sports quite often. I would love to see how this feature will enhance the detail of a football or soccer game shot from the opposite side of the field. I may purchase a friends D7100 if he decides to sale the camera at a great bargain.

Steve B

I think a lot of people misunderstand how the 1.3 crop works. It isn't any different than cropping your picture down in pp as far as resolution and detail are concerned. You end up with a 2x crop image (instead of a 1.5x) that uses a little more than 15MP of the sensor. It simply captures the data from a smaller area of the sensor. The one main benefit of the 1.3x mode is that the focus point pattern covers almost the complete FOV in that mode. The other benefits are a higher frame rate when using the high speed burst mode. The other reason I use if for sports sometime is that (I assume) that only the captured area is used for metering. This means you can get rid of some of the surrounding background that may negatively impact metering. As the user manual puts it "producing a telephoto effect without the need to change lenses". Just remember it isn't a 24MP image anymore. One more thing that should be pointed out. This does not change the focal length of the lens so it does not change the DOF. This is a telephoto effect only. A 200mm lens at f/2.8 will have a DOF at 100ft of roughly 8 1/2' (on a D7100) no matter how much you crop it.

Last edited:

BackdoorArts

For the uninitiated, remember, 1.3x crop mode is really just a pre-crop of the shot on the same sensor. In other words, you do not get extra reach with the same 24MP's, you get something closer to 15-16MP's and a smaller image. No different from shooting in normal mode and then cropping to 1.3X. You just save on initial file size, which will help you when shooting sports by not filling up the smallish buffer as quickly.

(edit)

^^^^
|||||||

Yeah, what Steve said!! LOL

Steve B

When I first heard about the 1.3 crop mode I thought it wouldn't be any use to me, but I've actually found it quite handy, mainly when using wide angle lenses. It's a good feature!
I don't understand this. Why would you use it with a WA lens? It sort of defeats the purpose of using the WA lens in the first place. You have turned your 10mm lens (which already has a equivalent FOV of 15mm) into a lens that has an equivalent FOV of 20mm. Imposing a telephoto effect on a WA lens doesn't make any sense unless I am missing something.

Steve B

Pages 58 (for frame rate) and 68 (for images sizes) in the D7100 manual. Image sizes for video are slightly different, see page 167.

Moab Man

True there is nothing magical, and it's only doing an in camera crop, but it is a nice function you don't realize you would use until you do.

Steve B

Oh, don't get me wrong, I do use it. I just think that it is important to understand what it will actually do. There are times when it has it's benefits but normally I don't use it since it reduces my flexibility with what I can do with the composition in pp. My belief is that it is better to have data you can throw away if you don't need it as opposed to wishing you had data you lost due to an in-camera crop. This is especially true if you need/want to print the pictures to a "standard" print size and will have to crop them anyway.

D12345678

I don't understand this. Why would you use it with a WA lens? It sort of defeats the purpose of using the WA lens in the first place. You have turned your 10mm lens (which already has a equivalent FOV of 15mm) into a lens that has an equivalent FOV of 20mm. Imposing a telephoto effect on a WA lens doesn't make any sense unless I am missing something.

Simple - I'm a fishing magazine photographer and often take my camera with me in a small kayak, so I prefer to keep things compact and just take one lens. If that lens is my Tokina 116 I'll mainly be taking landscape style shots, but on occasion I have wanted to just take a photo of a small fish or something else that's more suited to a standard lens. So I've switched over to the 1.3 crop mode and framed my subject so it will exclude the surrounding area. Sure, it's easily done back at home on the computer, but this way the job is already done! As I say, for me it's quite handy, even if I rarely use it.

Steve B

Simple - I'm a fishing magazine photographer and often take my camera with me in a small kayak, so I prefer to keep things compact and just take one lens. If that lens is my Tokina 116 I'll mainly be taking landscape style shots, but on occasion I have wanted to just take a photo of a small fish or something else that's more suited to a standard lens. So I've switched over to the 1.3 crop mode and framed my subject so it will exclude the surrounding area. Sure, it's easily done back at home on the computer, but this way the job is already done! As I say, for me it's quite handy, even if I rarely use it.
Makes sense. One of the scenarios where it is a benefit. But then I have to ask, if you take pictures for fishing magazines why are you taking pictures of SMALL fish in the first place? :pJK