Newbie from NC

Wilbur

I recently picked up a D3100 with the 18-55 kit lens and a 55-200 lens to try to get some better pictures of motorsports atleast starting out since I had been using a point and shoot.

Recently used it more than a few pictures during the Rolex 24 in Daytona and while some pictures came out well others failed horribly (mainly night time). So now I figured I need to learn how to actually use the thing better and play with settings!

Thanks for the welcome, hope to learn alot.

DraganDL

Good for you. These two lenses would be just sufficient for "motorsports", family photographs, landscapes etc. . Now, for the night photography you'd be better off with "faster" lenses such as, for example 35mm f/1.8, and a tripod... The lack of these devices, as well as improper settings of your camera might have caused the "horribly failed" photos (as you put it). And, as our moderator suggested, it would be advisable that you show us those photos, so that we could give you some tips...

Wilbur

Thanks folks, I will work on uploading some pictures tomorrow. I took about 1500 but deleted roughly 250.

Glad I found this place since I need some help just understand what does what but impressed so far with camera on easy to use and battery life.

Wilbur

2014 Rolex 24 083.jpg2014 Rolex 24 1000.jpg2014 Rolex 24 1001.jpg2014 Rolex 24 1007.jpg2014 Rolex 24 1016.jpg2014 Rolex 24 1017.jpg2014 Rolex 24 1018.jpg2014 Rolex 24 1019.jpg2014 Rolex 24 1031.jpg2014 Rolex 24 1036.jpg

These are some pictures I had taken to show how they came out, I'm really unsure of what the issue was outside of light which I do have some that seemed fine. I have more pictures from both night and day but thought these would do for now.

Wilbur

Im not being mean..Just an observation..Are you shooting Jpeg or Raw? What editing tool are you using..?

Oh I know, it was the first time I had ever really used the camera so any help is a blessing. I shot Jpeg just for ease of anything later since I didn't fully know. To put it bluntly, I have no real knowledge of what things do or anything so I'm pretty open to help.

ShootRaw

I love this shot..Great composition..Just needed a faster shutter speed to freeze and was underexposed by 2 stops...I did a retouch..
untitled-.jpg