LCD screen and cold temps

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Today I spent some time outside (cold temp no higher than 19° to 20°F) with my D610 and had 2 occasions where I didn't see an image display on the LCD immediately after taking a photo. Trying to walk to my destination at the first stop didn't yield any photos because it was way too icy and steep. The camera was outside for @10 minutes then I got back in the car and drove for another 15-20 minutes.

At this second stop, I was outside for just a few minutes. The first photo didn't display that I could see but all the subsequent photos did. I was outside there for no more than 10 minutes. I made a couple of other stops and had just one other image that I didn't see display after taking the shot.

Has anyone noticed any LCD problems when in cold temps while using any Nikon DSLR's? The camera is new--a little over 30 days but I haven't used it much. I don't know for sure whether it is related to the cold but am assuming it is.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks! :)

DraganDL

It is probably related to the temperature - after the first shot, camera got warmer, so LCD reacted faster. You will check this out easily, by observing the LCD's behavior while shooting indoors.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
It is probably related to the temperature - after the first shot, camera got warmer, so LCD reacted faster. You will check this out easily, by observing the LCD's behavior while shooting indoors.

I sure hope it's just from the cold. I did allow the camera to warm up in the house then took a few photos inside without any problems. This is the first time I've taken a camera out when the temps were this cold although many here may not consider 19° to 20° to be all that cold. ;)

I also didn't carry the camera bag with me because I trekked through snow, ice, and slush. The bag is pretty heavy so I left it in the car and put the camera strap over my shoulder. Perhaps I should have carried the camera inside my coat?

Deezey

This is the one of the reasons I do not take my D90 out in the cold anymore. I started having all sorts of glitches cropping up. From my lens unwilling to focus to my D90 just flat out not taking a picture even with focus.

The cold does funny things to electronics.

Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
This is the one of the reasons I do not take my D90 out in the cold anymore. I started having all sorts of glitches cropping up. From my lens unwilling to focus to my D90 just flat out not taking a picture even with focus.

The cold does funny things to electronics.

I also wasn't sure if the VR was working 100% of the time. I could barely hear or feel it engaging, and after viewing some of my photos, I'm left wondering if the cold also affected it. Some of the photos were a tad blurry, and I don't usually have a problem waiting until after the VR has kicked in before pressing the shutter.

Did you ever have any VR problems when using the camera in really cold temps?

Deezey

Haha. As you have noticed....what VR. Last cold weather outing I went on with the D90, at the end of my walk the camera and lens barely functioned. Period. No VC....no autofocus. The focus points wouldn't even light up. That's when I decided I would no longer go out into the cold. The D90 is my only body right now....and its too big a risk.

Anything below 30f and I just shoot indoors.

Now on my walk it was around 22f and I was out for roughly an hour. But the camera was stored in the bag when not in use.

everprentice

IMHO, electronics behave differently in very cold temperatures. LCD displays as well. Haven't you noticed that displays at gas pumps are slow during extremely cold days? Also, Mg-alloys are thermal-conductive so it may be durable but it can get cold easily.

BTW, when I take my camera out on cold days, I make sure I have a bag with me. I put the camera immediately inside the bag when I enter warmer locations, like a warm car. And I keep it in there before taking it out when I'm done. This prevents condensation which may cause issues.