Rear Button Auto Focus

fotojack

Yup, like Sam and a few others here, been using it so long, I can't go back to the half press deal! lol So much easier and quicker with the AF-ON button. I even use that method on my D40. I just have it set to the AE-L/AF-L button.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
The only issue that I have with that setting is when you try to ask someone to take your picture or for a group shot, then it can be problematic. Otherwise, it works great once you get the hang of it.

Krs_2007

The only issue that I have with that setting is when you try to ask someone to take your picture or for a group shot, then it can be problematic. Otherwise, it works great once you get the hang of it.

For this Glenn, it's the only time my camera goes to the green mode. My daughter understood the concept but my sister-in-law was like, how do I focus. So anytime I need someone to get someone to snap of pic with me in it I just put on auto.

nikonnoob

Yeah, I have a settings bank setup specifically for point and shoot; just switch banks then hand the camera over.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
For this Glenn, it's the only time my camera goes to the green mode. My daughter understood the concept but my sister-in-law was like, how do I focus. So anytime I need someone to get someone to snap of pic with me in it I just put on auto.

Yeah, I have a settings bank setup specifically for point and shoot; just switch banks then hand the camera over.

I'm not sure if this can be applied with the D800 / D3s?

gqtuazon

Gear Head
What you saying the pro's dont use Auto..... Guess I never really noticed, guess you should get a non-pro body and hang with us for a bit.

These cameras only come with M,A,S,P mode. P mode (Professional mode) ;) is the closest auto configuration that I can use.

I'll check it out if it is even possible but the problem is if you don't use "banks" that often, I tend to forget what settings I stored in there, so I just give up using them. Between cameras including my Fuji, too many configurations for me to remember. LOL!

Krs_2007

These cameras only come with M,A,S,P mode. P mode (Professional mode) ;) is the closest auto configuration that I can use.

I'll check it out if it is even possible but the problem is if you don't use "banks" that often, I tend to forget what settings I stored in there, so I just give up using them. Between cameras including my Fuji, too many configurations for me to remember. LOL!

That is something I never thought about, but will need to remember for whenever I get to move up the D3 or D4, but I wouldn't count on it anytime soon unless I want a divorce.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
That is something I never thought about, but will need to remember for whenever I get to move up the D3 or D4, but I wouldn't count on it anytime soon unless I want a divorce.

Kevin - if that ever happens, I have nothing to do with it. I'll deny any involvement. :D

nikonpup

i am trying this - seems like camera has a harder time focusing - which focus mode seems to work best for u single or multi point - live view sound like my camera is coming apart all the noise it makes.

nikonnoob

Mike talks about setting his banks here as well as the configurations he uses. You can set it up your own way but just to give you an idea of the bank configurations and the point and shoot settings using the "P" program mode. I have several bin files set up ready to load into my D800 with many configurations using some old SD cards. Nikon D800 and D800E Setup and Configuration - Cutom Menu Banks

nikonnoob

Mike talks about setting up his banks here Nikon D800 and D800E Setup and Configuration - Cutom Menu Banks and using the "P" program mode as a point and shoot technique for handing to friends. I have several bin configuration files saved on my computer ready to load into my D800 using some old SD cards I had laying around.

egosbar

i like it but ive only just started using it , i wish the ae/af button on d7100 was a little more to the right , i have too reach in a bit , i might look at assigning it to another button possibly

egosbar

i just assigned auto focus on too the preview button on the d7100 , i can comfortably hold or release it from the front of the camera while resting my finger across the shutter button and pressing with about the first joint of my finger , feels really comfortable to me and i dont think ill get camera shake looks really steady in the viewfinder and firing a couple of shots while watching the focus square it was very still after each shot