Another victim of superstorm sandy

pictaker64

abandoned house and marina,just one of many dotting the jersey shore,sad to see how many places are still messed up over a year later.

DSC_8617.jpg

pictaker64

That particular marina/house was inundated by the storm,the water was about 5 foot deep through the house and adjacent marina.The owner sold it not soon after,not sure to who,the whispers are a developer who seeks to put condos there,others say someone who took advantage of the situation and low balled him.Either way its a shame to see it sit there.Around the corner from there,houses still lay in piles on lots.

Do you know why the property remains that way?

WM

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
Another reason a lot of houses are still sitting like this is because only people who's primary residence was damaged received federal aid. If you owned a shore house you probably only got what your insurance paid out, which was not enough to level a house and rebuild.

pictaker64

For sure,I own a seamless gutter business down here on the shore and I cant tell you how many sad stories I see,While its been great for construction,its not the way any of us wanted to get work.I have friends who have owned a home down here since the 50's.Their grandfather built it with his own hands,not a great big place,just a bungalow,but,because it was a second home they received just enough to put it in a dumpster,which they did.They now are selling the lot because they cant afford to build a new one.Sad stuff all around.Everyday I pass places either being torn down or completely gutted and sitting empty.Its a scary thing to think one storm could have that much effect on this place.I sat through it in my house,I am far from the water,but,surrounded by trees,and having heard what 90 mile an hour wind sounds like,I would never do it again.It was only gusts to 90,so I wouldnt know what sustained would feel like,but my advise to anyone in the path of a storm like that is get away.

Another reason a lot of houses are still sitting like this is because only people who's primary residence was damaged received federal aid. If you owned a shore house you probably only got what your insurance paid out, which was not enough to level a house and rebuild.

carguy

I can see that happening, but that is part of the risk/cost of a home like that. Hopefully homeowners suck it up and don't leave the eye sores there like that. They are still responsible for the property.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
After reading the first post, I took a drive this afternoon to see the area where a tornado touched down here in PA during Hurricane Sandy. One of the streets headed in the same direction that the tornado took so the tornado went down the street and knocked down tree after tree. Wish I had taken my camera with me the day I saw the destruction. For months many of the homes had blue tarps covering the roofs. We were without power for 5 days--what a relief to see power crews from North Carolina! ;)

Such a shame to see NJ hasn't yet stepped up to help out with some of those repairs. :(

pictaker64

Politics and money,graft and corruption,thats the jersey way...I have not met anyone here who has gotten any money from the state.A few have from FEMA and some SBA loans but no state money at all.I guesss everyone has to line their pockets before it trickles down :(

Such a shame to see NJ hasn't yet stepped up to help out with some of those repairs. :(