DSLR Exposure Challenge

snaphappy

I found this and thought some others might find it fun and maybe even helpful.

The challenge is 6 different ways to take the shot and how you set your camera to achieve the things its asking you for each shot. So just getting proper exposure, blurring subject, all in focus, stopping movement, slowing movement, and blurring fore and background while showing movement. If you use Manual, know your exposure triangle its just a matter of reading the question and showing how you'd set the camera to achieve each shot. I thought it would be helpful and fun for those learning.

I know its sponsored by the "other" camera company but really has nothing to do with any brand of camera just the choosing of proper settings to achieve the effects wanted. The real trick is reading the WHOLE sentence :)
Well I thought it easy to do but... read sentence above which says 1. then make adjustments and click the camera button, then read 2. and make adjustments then click camera etc there are only 6 sentences to read and make adjustments for
Hope my link works Challenge | Canon Explains Exposure

Post your results I got 6 out of 6 in 56secs on my 3rd try apparently I need to do a better job of reading instructions :)

Last edited:

snaphappy

Try it again Lawrence. The trick is reading what they are looking for and choosing the settings that will give you that effect. Show propeller movement (slower shutter 1/60 or so) and stop propeller fast shutter (try above 1/800). Blurring is large aperture (smallest F# so 2.8), show whole photo in focus then smaller aperture (F11-13 etc) then adjust your ISO until your light meter tells you you have a good exposure ( 0 ).

Don't worry about the clock at all just practice and then go and try it with your camera, once you switch to Manual its the best thing ever. I thought there was some magic settings I needed to memorize in order to get the photos I wanted. Then found out that nope its knowing what you are looking for burring, all in focus, stop motion or show motion and adjusting aperture, shutter and ISO while watching that light meter in order to get the shot you want.

Seriously give it another shot and then go play with your camera. Manual opens a whole new fun world with your camera and it really isn't as complicated as it seems. I can say this because 1yr and 2wks ago I had absolutely no idea what ISO, aperture or shutter was!

Lawrence

Try it again Lawrence. The trick is reading what they are looking for and choosing the settings that will give you that effect. Show propeller movement (slower shutter 1/60 or so) and stop propeller fast shutter (try above 1/800). Blurring is large aperture (smallest F# so 2.8), show whole photo in focus then smaller aperture (F11-13 etc) then adjust your ISO until your light meter tells you you have a good exposure ( 0 ).

Don't worry about the clock at all just practice and then go and try it with your camera, once you switch to Manual its the best thing ever. I thought there was some magic settings I needed to memorize in order to get the photos I wanted. Then found out that nope its knowing what you are looking for burring, all in focus, stop motion or show motion and adjusting aperture, shutter and ISO while watching that light meter in order to get the shot you want.

Seriously give it another shot and then go play with your camera. Manual opens a whole new fun world with your camera and it really isn't as complicated as it seems. I can say this because 1yr and 2wks ago I had absolutely no idea what ISO, aperture or shutter was!

I didn't really understand the question to be honest and the revolving prop is beyond my camera unless I use video mode.
Dumb as dumb can be.

nickt

6/6, nearly 2 minutes, but pretty much the first minute I was staring at it trying to figure out how it works and what they wanted from me.

snaphappy

Seriously Lawrence a year ago I couldn't tell you what ISO, aperture or Shutter was and blurring etc was really frustrating because I just didn't understand any of it. I could never get photos exposed properly because I had no idea I had a light meter in my view finder! I had no idea what a light meter was or what it was telling me.

This would have been fantastic to help me learn but instead I took a class at college learned the language and then starting learning. Everyone says to read the manual but if you don't know the basics and lingo then the manual might as well be in another language!

When you go to take the challenge it asks if you need to do some more learning and can take you to this link Learn | Canon Explains Exposure Again not brand related at all just setting and learning to read and how use them. I know its overwhelming at first but try out one thing at a time and read the meter. I'm certain you will master it very quickly :)

I know fotojack the reading of the entire sentence of what they were asking for in each question got me haha I had to slow down and read all the words LOL

Mike150

I was going to try this but after 57 seconds to solve the first one, I decided to go back to work.
Maybe later this evening.

Horoscope Fish

I'm having trouble figuring out what the challenge is, exactly...

I can move the sliders around and adjust all the parameters before taking my "shot", at which point I get a series of banal "Tips" about DoF, Shutter Speed, etc.; but then what?

I'm missing something as well methinks.

snaphappy

The challenge is 6 different ways to take the shot and how you set your camera to achieve the things its asking you in each shot. So just getting proper exposure, blurring subject, all in focus, stopping movement, slowing movement, and blurring fore and background while showing movement. If you use Manual, know your exposure triangle its just a matter of reading the question and showing how you'd set the camera to achieve each shot. I thought it would be helpful and fun for those learning. You have to follow the first link I posted the second was just helpful hints for Lawrence

MartinCornwall

I didn't really understand the question to be honest and the revolving prop is beyond my camera unless I use video mode.
Dumb as dumb can be.

Lawrence I see you have a D5100 so that revolving prop is totally inside that camera's abilities, go out at night time and since you have to be on M virtually all the time your skills will develop at a much quicker rate and it's good fun.

Horoscope Fish

The challenge is 6 different ways to take the shot and how you set your camera to achieve the things its asking you in each shot. So just getting proper exposure, blurring subject, all in focus, stopping movement, slowing movement, and blurring fore and background while showing movement. If you use Manual, know your exposure triangle its just a matter of reading the question and showing how you'd set the camera to achieve each shot. I thought it would be helpful and fun for those learning. You have to follow the first link I posted the second was just helpful hints for Lawrence

Well that explained a lot!

Lawrence

Well after all the advice here and a PM from Snaphappy I managed to get 6/6 in under 24 hours.

Time to upgrade to D7100 methinks.