When HDR in On, how do you know if the jpg is HDR ?

gerfoto

Hello,
I went to try HDR for the first time. I took some JPGs with the HDR option ON, and i made sure it said HDR on the display. How do you know is that photo is an HDR ?

Thanks for your help.

Lawrence

I am no expert (in fact struggling with the hDR settings at the moment) but would test it by taking a normal shot of the same scene and comparing the two.

DraganDL

Take a look at the EXIF part of the properties of your photo. As for the difference in looks, compared to the HDR photo, the "normal" photo should exhibit less details in both: very dark and very bright areas of the shot.

BackdoorArts

I just tried with my D600 and there's nothing I could find in the file name or metadata that would tell me that it was in-camera HDR. That doesn't mean it's not there, just that I couldn't find it with my EXIF viewer.

nikonpup

take a picture of a finger like you would for a pano shot, lets you know something different was done. :) just figured out i can use my finger shots for my 365.

Weenie

unfortunately, y the time and image becomes a jpeg, it's almost impossible to determine if it was originally shot in HDR mode unless you compare it to an image that was not. In HDR mode, the D600 is working in 14-bit color which means the range of colors for red, green and blue is 16,384 shades. When the camera converts that to jpeg internally, it drops the number of shades down to 256. So the range of colors from 0-255 will be greater in your image but they will also be truncated into the limited 8-bit 256 range.