Nikon D5200 battery and saved settings

nickt

Re: Nikon D5200

For awhile. Not sure how long. Another member was recently trying to get his d600 to totally reset by leaving out the battery. Two days did not cause it to forget. I left my d3100 without battery for several months and it did reset the clock/calendar. So what did you have in mind? You could certainly leave it out for charging if that is what you are thinking.

FastGlass

Most of todays cameras have two batteries. The one you normally remove to charge the other to keep settings. On my cameras, the other battery is located in the battery compartment. It's purpose is to keep all you're settings. Not sure if the main battery keeps it charged or if it will eventually deplete. But if you're intentions are to erase all you're settings than remove it for a few minutes. Or just simply look in you're manual about how to reset the camera.

nickt

After reading Egosbar's post, I checked the d5200 manual. Your clock can go for about one month and it takes three days of having the main battery installed to recharge this internal battery. In theory, this should cause the main battery to drain down a bit quicker when reinstalled as it recharges the internal battery. I don't know if the extra drain on reinstalling would be significant. My d3100 is seldom used these days. I have stored it with and without battery. I find it annoying to pick it up and have it flash me to set the clock so I now I just leave the battery installed.