100% Noise

southwestsam

So recently I've started playing around with LR5 which I got with the photographer bundle on Adobe (still the same offer available that was supposedly expiring beginning of December and then again December 31st!) and one thing I have noticed is that when I'm zooming in to 100% - I can see noise which to me looks obvious on anything at ISO640 and above.

obviously it gets a lot worse the higher the ISO, which I understand. My question is, for a camera (D5100) that is supposed to have good high ISO performance, is this normal and I'm just being anal or is something wrong?

i should say that the noise is not visible below approx ISO2500 when viewed at 'normal' sizes on screen, but when zoomed to 100% is visible to a certain degree from ISO640+.

i haven't had the opportunity to print any yet and test the results.

does anyone else get this? And if so what camera are you using?

Pretzel

Good ISO performance is relevant to other cameras in the competitive range, and yes, when compared to others in it's class, the D5100 does well. Say, for instance, compare it to the t3i (around the same price range) and you'll find MUCH better noise performance at higher ISO's with your D5100 (like around 1.5 stops!). There's so much more to noise levels though, like:

1) Was the shot underexposed at all in the area you're looking at? If it was, correcting exposure in PP adds a bit of noise. On the other hand, correcting exposure before shooting will help control it.

2) Are you looking at the RAW file? If so, a little more noise will be evident, but it is EASILY compensated for in PP. The camera will auto correct for that a bit if shooting in .jpg, but then you lose a lot of "tweakability" with your photos in PP. When my exposure is correct, I can usually get noise levels to practically unnoticeable up to ISO 1600 with my D3100 through PP, and the D5100 performs about a half stop better in that area.

3) Is this, perhaps, after PP to sharpen and increase detail? Most of the adjustments in these areas will also add a little noise, but if shooting in RAW, you can (in most cases) easily compensate.

4) Is noise compensation on or off in your camera settings? Self explanatory.

You might post a pic with all of the EXIF data and PP adjustments, and I'm willing to be a lot of folks can offer thoughts/tips/opinions. :)

Last edited:

Whiskeyman

Are your photos underexposed anywhere? I've discovered that no matter what ISO I shoot at, if I underexpose any part of the photo, I see lots of noise there when post processing.

WM

PS Great explanation Pretzel.

southwestsam

Thanks for the quick responses everyone! I can tell you a couple things, although no access to my computer just yet to upload examples...

1. I shoot in raw and have noticed a slight reduction when converting to jpg although wasn't sure if this was partly due to the reduction in size (16MP to about 1.5MP)

2. I have had a play in LR at reducing noise and can easily get the noise at ISO1600 down to equivalent noise of about ISO400 with no disruption to overall quality. Impressed with its capabilities actually.

3. Not sure about noise setting in-camera. Would having it on be likely to soften photos?

4. I'm not moaning about the performance of the 5100 - it's bloody marvelous compared to any other camera I've had and the noise is only noticeable to me at full size. (Not viewed at print sizes etc)

5. I'm probably guilty of underexposing sometimes - I like to shoot in M all the time!! I need to learn to use S and A modes too :p

Ill post some pics when I can.

Thanks all again for such speedy replies!!

southwestsam

I think my problem is just not having got the exposure correct in-camera.

I have found a number that I have taken at ISO800 and the noise is negligable even at 100%.

Interesting how much of a difference it makes - best get used to not being lazy and relying on PP to correct!!