Hello Nikonites!

mgoldman525

Hi everyone! My name is Mike and I'm new to serious photography. I've been doing research in optics professionally for several years now and I've always enjoyed composing interesting photos with my point-and-shoot, so I've decided to bring the two together and take the DSLR plunge.

Since I'd like to buy a camera that will support years of learning and I'm working on a grad student budget, I was thinking of buying a 5200 with the 18-140mm VR kit lens or the 18-200mm VR lens. I would appreciate any thoughts you have on my plan! Should I look at different lenses? Go for a nifty fifty right off the bat? Am I likely to find a better deal than the ubiquitous $950 kit?

Thanks!

Deezey

Welcome to the forum! The 5200 is a great dSLR. It's a good beginner/intermediate model. The 7100 though will be the best bang for the buck. A bit pricey up front. But then the only way to really outgrow it is to go FX. It may just save in the long run.

mgoldman525

Welcome to the forum! The 5200 is a great dSLR. It's a good beginner/intermediate model. The 7100 though will be the best bang for the buck. A bit pricey up front. But then the only way to really outgrow it is to go FX. It may just save in the long run.

Thanks! I'm trying to stay under $1,000, including the lens, so I assumed that the 7x00 series would be off the table. I wasn't sure that many of the differences (more AF points, the ability to use non-motorized lenses, the anti-aliasing filter) would make a difference to me in within the lifetime of the camera (5-8 years?). The more robust construction is tempting, though, but I thought the money could be better spent building up the rest of my kit (50 mm prime, filters, tripod, external mic) over the next few years. Do you think the 7100 would last significantly longer - either in terms of durability or obsolescence - than the 5200?

Deezey

Honestly the D5200 is a great camera. The reason most leave the 3xxx and the 5xxx series behind is usually the controls. And the dual card slots are nice too.

but the 5200 is still a fine choice and should last you easily for 5+ years. Most people never reach the full life expectancy of their camera.

weebee

You can get years of learning from the D3100. That being said. I would go with the 5200 and get the best glass you can afford. A camera going obsolete is such a jaded phrase I won't even discuss it. You need to ask yourself exactly what you want from a camera. When you print a image how large do want it to be? How highly are you going to crop a image? What type of pictures do you like to shoot? I have a good friend that has a D5000, a dino if you think about it. But, he comes up with the most fantastic shots with it. But, he's not relying just on the camera. He loves to photo shop. See what I'm saying? Good luck with your choice(s)

snaphappy

Why not look at a 7000, its just after christmas and I bet you can find a great deal on used one. It'll give you the controls instead of menu adjustment, dual card slots but also the ability to pick up great old lenses to play with because it has internal AF which 3xxx and 5xxx don't

mgoldman525

Ordered! Instead of a new D5200 + 18-140 kit for $947, Adorama sells a refurbished D5200 for $540 and a refurbished 18-200 for $455. $38, 1 mm, and 2.6 oz don't seem like bad prices to pay for 60 more mm.

I can't wait to get the package tomorrow!