moon shots using live view for manual focus

wev

Contributor
Can this be done? Even at the least moon, the live view image is completely blown out and trying to focus is pointless. A function of the 5200 screen or have I missed some setting someplace?

Lawrence

I tried this and struggled.
What I did learn is that setting up the tripod on a wooden deck (common in New Zealand) is pointless as the deck has a lot of spring and hence movement. Even the slightest vibration creates movement in the camera. Far better to set up on concrete or mother Earth.

wev

Contributor
I always set the tripod on concrete and use a center weight bag just to be sure. Movement is not an issue -- just can't see anything in live view but a blast of white light.

WayneF

Can this be done? Even at the least moon, the live view image is completely blown out and trying to focus is pointless. A function of the 5200 screen or have I missed some setting someplace?

The moon is a tiny spot, and the rest of the frame is jet black. Automation assumes it needs to brighten all that black. This can never work.

So 1) don't do that. Only use camera Manual mode. The moon is illuminated by sunlight, not that different than here on earth, so start at maybe ISO 100, f/8, 1/250 second (all manual). That will be close, but tweak exposure as desired. The moon should not be too bright, its surface is darker than a gray card.

Then 2) zoom in greatly on the live view LCD view, so you can see it. Use Manual focus mode, and then after you can see it, simply focus so the craters look sharp. Using the self timer at 2 seconds will let you get your finger off of it, so the vibrations die away.

I always hand hold, use spot metering and spot focus on program and get great results. the moon is bright and you really need a fast shutter speed anyway. The best shot I got was done this way and I shot 4 or 5 shots in burst mode and then did focus stacking.
D5100_02573.jpg

Moab Man

You cannot use the live view to try and focus. The display of the camera will always try to make it daylight and because you have a black sky with a single spot of light the camera is trying to bring up the black which blows out the moon.

wev

Contributor
Then 2) zoom in greatly on the live view LCD view, so you can see it. Use Manual focus mode, and then after you can see it, simply focus so the craters look sharp. Using the self timer at 2 seconds will let you get your finger off of it, so the vibrations die away.

Tried that -- no matter what I do, all I get in live view, even at max magnification, is a blast of white light, nothing recognizable at all. I wonder if there is some issue with the view screen or is this just a limitation of the 5200?

Quite frankly (ala Don), the best shots I have gotten have all been hand held.

Jonathan

You cannot use the live view to try and focus. The display of the camera will always try to make it daylight and because you have a black sky with a single spot of light the camera is trying to bring up the black which blows out the moon.
I was about to disagree with this, but then remembered that I can't remember how I last did it! I certainly used LiveView, zoomed in, but I think I switched to the viewfinder. I wear reading glasses, not everyday glasses, which muddies everything anyway. I certainly see recommendations for using LiveView to help focus, and that's why I bought a 7" hot-shoe HDMI-connected screen but I haven't really used it yet.

I'll go away now.

Whiskeyman

Why don't you focus manually?

I was about to disagree with this, but then remembered that I can't remember how I last did it! I certainly used LiveView, zoomed in, but I think I switched to the viewfinder. I wear reading glasses, not everyday glasses, which muddies everything anyway. I certainly see recommendations for using LiveView to help focus, and that's why I bought a 7" hot-shoe HDMI-connected screen but I haven't really used it yet.

I'll go away now.

Before you go away, please tell us a bit about this hot shoe-mounted screen you have.

WM