Nikon Nikkor AF 50 mm f/1.8 D Lens

Brian

The "AF-S" series 50/1.8 has the internal autofocus motor that you need. It is also a much newer design, uses Aspheric optics and is very sharp.

Wide-open on the Nikon Df,

DSC_0663

Last edited:

egosbar

im looking at shooting bridges , harbours anywhere i can get great light reflections on water of a nightime , inspired by jeff cables utube shooting after dark , if you havent seen it and are interested in these shots do youself a favor and google him up

my question is i am looking too do these shots and currently have a 18-55 3.5 lens , most shots will be at about 5.6-11 fstop anyway as it will be tripod slow shutters and low iso , should i buy the 50mm 1.8 ? i have a d7100 which model 50mm lens as money can be an issue , or im thinking a 24 or 35 1.8 but they are expensive , would it be better too get the older type lens for the d7100 as they will auto focus and should be cheaper id think

Brian

Egosbar- The aspheric lenses will have less coma (aberrations) making it better suited for photography at night than most older lenses. Experiment with F-stops, F5.6 is likely to be sharp, but F8~F11- you lose sharpness to diffraction (small lens opening "bends" the light).

Whiskeyman

im looking at shooting bridges , harbours anywhere i can get great light reflections on water of a nightime , inspired by jeff cables utube shooting after dark , if you havent seen it and are interested in these shots do youself a favor and google him up

my question is i am looking too do these shots and currently have a 18-55 3.5 lens , most shots will be at about 5.6-11 fstop anyway as it will be tripod slow shutters and low iso , should i buy the 50mm 1.8 ? i have a d7100 which model 50mm lens as money can be an issue , or im thinking a 24 or 35 1.8 but they are expensive , would it be better too get the older type lens for the d7100 as they will auto focus and should be cheaper id think

What do you want that your current lens isn't giving you? I'll agree that the 50 f 1.8 will do things your 18-55 can't, also that at about $220 US, the AF-S Nikkor 50 f/1.8 is one of the best deals you can get on a lens. Even if you can shoot what you want with your current lenses, if you get a 50 f1.8, you'll realize that you wanted it. And while the D series AF lenses should autofocus on your D7100, I'm told the optics on the AF-S versions is worth the extra cost.

WM

WM

egosbar

yeah ive only had the camera a couple of days so ill save my complete judgement for when i get back from my cruise to nz in a few weeks , i think the kit lenses are only ok so far and better glass will be needed i think , question is 35 or 50 mm for night photography of harbours , cruise ship , bridges etc i want great reflections in the water and shooting just after sundown in the blue time

im thinking of the 35mm
Nikon AF S DX Nikkor 35mm F1 8G FOR D3S D3X D7000 D5100 018208021833 | eBay

what do you guys think , i just cant afford 1000k lenses , are there better options for this type of photography for under 500 dollars

Last edited:

Mike D90

yeah ive only had the camera a couple of days so ill save my complete judgement for when i get back from my cruise to nz in a few weeks , i think the kit lenses are only ok so far and better glass will be needed i think , question is 35 or 50 mm for night photography of harbours , cruise ship , bridges etc i want great reflections in the water and shooting just after sundown in the blue time

im thinking of the 35mm
Nikon AF S DX Nikkor 35mm F1 8G FOR D3S D3X D7000 D5100 018208021833 | eBay

what do you guys think , i just cant afford 1000k lenses , are there better options for this type of photography for under 500 dollars

I feel your pain. However, although they won't auto focus or meter with your camera, using manual settings/exposure you can use older AI and AI-S lenses from Nikon and they many times come at hundreds if not thousands less than the new AF-S lenses and a lot of them are superb lenses.

I am no help with the bridges and structures photography though. I would also guess that the 35mm AF-S would be a good choice.

egosbar

i have only had the camera for a week , i wont have a tripod for another couple of weeks when i get too the city , cruising nz so i want good images of night boat scenes if i get the chance , i got given a new 55 1.8 and its a great little lens no doubt for the coin , ill work on a wider lens but they are expensive

learning a lot about the 7100 for a week and never shooting nikon before , i was a canon man a long time ago and really happy i changed its a great camera