EN-EL15 Battery (Nikon vs. Other)

2MuchTurbo

Anybody have any comments/issues/thoughts on using non-Nikon batteries? I want to get a second battery for my D7100, I really want an MB-D15 battery grip but can't afford one at the moment.

All over the net, non-Nikon batteries are MUCH MUCH cheaper, $20-$40 each, instead of $100.

Thoughts? Anyone use non-Nikon batteries?

WayneF

I bought these Wasabi EN-EL15 batteries for a D800 and they work fine. The only one thing, the D800 count of how many shots on a battery charge is lost when turned off. I suppose that is saved in the battery chip, and these don't do that one thing. But they are 1/3 price and they work fine.

Individual batteries are $22.

I put a different brand replacement lithium battery in a Garmin GPS, for $6, and it was greatly better than the original battery ever was.

Then I tried a $6 battery in an iPhone, and couldn't make it work right. I suspect a connector issue.

Last edited:

Steve B

Personally I never use anything but Nikon batteries. When you figure the price difference divided by the expected life expectancy of the battery the difference in cost is minimal and I prefer not to risk possible issues with third party batteries. I know a lot of people use third party batteries with good results but I have never seen a need to scrimp on batteries that I am putting in my bodies that I paid big bucks for.

Steve B

Anybody have any comments/issues/thoughts on using non-Nikon batteries? I want to get a second battery for my D7100, I really want an MB-D15 battery grip but can't afford one at the moment.

All over the net, non-Nikon batteries are MUCH MUCH cheaper, $20-$40 each, instead of $100.

Maybe the batteries in Canada are a lot more expensive but you can get Nikon EN-EL15 batteries from B&H for a little under $55.

Patrick M

If your non-Nikon battery blows up, what happens to your camera's warranty? Recently there was a battery recall, but I can't remember now which manufacturer it was....because their battery over-heated and could blow. A mobile phone rings a bell...

WayneF

Yeah, recall was Nikon EN-EL15.

Now in truth, I would not expect any recall from the third party batteries, no matter what. :) But the Wasbai batteries are working great for my D800, for $22 each.

bigal1000

Yes don't use them wait till you can afford the real deal they are much better than the knockoffs and they are more powerful and if there is an electrical problem or a board gets fried the warranty is voided by Nikon !! If you don't have a warranty then use them and see what happens !!

Last edited:

ShootRaw

As far as batteries or grips..I would stick with Nikon..Have heard horror stories of cameras being fried due to faulty third party gear...

bigal1000

Personally I never use anything but Nikon batteries. When you figure the price difference divided by the expected life expectancy of the battery the difference in cost is minimal and I prefer not to risk possible issues with third party batteries. I know a lot of people use third party batteries with good results but I have never seen a need to scrimp on batteries that I am putting in my bodies that I paid big bucks for.

You got it right I agree 100% if the camera is under warranty and something goes wrong your out of luck with Nikon service.

bigal1000

Just bought one last week at B@H Photo Nikon EN-EL15 oem for $45 the 3rd party Watson was $35 for $10 I'll take the original Nikon any day.....

Vixen

I want to know how you know if it's genuine. I have looked online and found posts describing "genuine" batteries but the battery that came with my D7100 is not like them, so is it "non-genuine"?

I bought a second battery. I was ensured by the seller it was genuine Nikon, but again, it is different to my origonal battery and not the same as the supposedly genuine one online.

In my D80, I used non genuine batteries with no problem. I will admit they did not hold their charge as long as the Nikon genuine battery supplied with the camera, but they weren't too bad and at $7 ea a hell of a lot cheaper than the $50 originals

Horoscope Fish

I've never heard anything but supposition that Nikon will deny warranty repair based on third-party battery use. I've heard people say third-party batteries are more likely to cause damage but Nikon batteries are the only batteries I've heard of having been recalled due to manufacturer defect. Not too mention I find it HIGHLY doubtful Nikon manufacturers their own batteries; it's far more likely their manufacture is outsourced and Nikon maintains in house quality control standards. Now if someone feels better putting a Nikon branded battery in their camera, fine. If you sleep better at night because of it, great. But I don't see how a third party battery is much different than using a third-party lens or a third-party flash. I think all this arm flailing is much ado about zilch, personally.

Secondly, in my experience some of the third-party batteries out there equal, if not exceed, their Nikon branded equivalents. The Wasabi batteries I use in my D7100 are and my GF uses some in her '3200 with equal success. Remove the label and you'd never know you weren't using a Nikon branded battery. My current 9-5 job is, and for the last 14 years has been, working in the Visual Arts division at a college; I have regular, ongoing access to several full-time professional photographers and the department has several loaner cameras of both Nikon and Canon manufacture for student use. I see requisitions for that area for third-party batteries with some frequency. No issues with them. The professionals I see every day, a lot of them use third party batteries, a lot of them don't. No one really seems to care. When I asked them about battery preference (OEM vs. third-party) they all pretty much said the same thing, "(shrug) It's a battery...

"I'm not saying there aren't some pretty crappy third-party knock-off batteries out there because I know there are; I've owned a few. But to paint ALL third-party batteries with the same broad brush is simply inaccurate and misleading. Rampant fanboy-ism is fine, cute even (to a point), but don't quote what amounts to opinion and supposition as though it came to us engraved on stone tablets handed down from On High. The simple fact is, there ARE some excellent third-party batteries that cost a fraction of a Nikon OEM battery.

bigal1000

I've never heard anything but supposition that Nikon will deny warranty repair based on third-party battery use. I've heard people say third-party batteries are more likely to cause damage but Nikon batteries are the only batteries I've heard of having been recalled due to manufacturer defect. Not too mention I find it HIGHLY doubtful Nikon manufacturers their own batteries; it's far more likely their manufacture is outsourced and Nikon maintains in house quality control standards. Now if someone feels better putting a Nikon branded battery in their camera, fine. If you sleep better at night because of it, great. But I don't see how a third party battery is much different than using a third-party lens or a third-party flash. I think all this arm flailing is much ado about zilch, personally.

Secondly, in my experience some of the third-party batteries out there equal, if not exceed, their Nikon branded equivalents. The Wasabi batteries I use in my D7100 are and my GF uses some in her '3200 with equal success. Remove the label and you'd never know you weren't using a Nikon branded battery. My current 9-5 job is, and for the last 14 years has been, working in the Visual Arts division at a college; I have regular, ongoing access to several full-time professional photographers and the department has several loaner cameras of both Nikon and Canon manufacture for student use. I see requisitions for that area for third-party batteries with some frequency. No issues with them. The professionals I see every day, a lot of them use third party batteries, a lot of them don't. No one really seems to care. When I asked them about battery preference (OEM vs. third-party) they all pretty much said the same thing, "(shrug) It's a battery...

"I'm not saying there aren't some pretty crappy third-party knock-off batteries out there because I know there are; I've owned a few. But to paint ALL third-party batteries with the same broad brush is simply inaccurate and misleading. Rampant fanboy-ism is fine, cute even (to a point), but don't quote what amounts to opinion and supposition as though it came to us engraved on stone tablets handed down from On High. The simple fact is, there ARE some excellent third-party batteries that cost a fraction of a Nikon OEM battery.

I'm glad you like 3rd batteries I'll stick with the Nikon brand they last longer an work better for me,to each his own !!

Last edited:

Cee Fish

I've had issues with 3rd party batteries in the past loosing charge when sitting compared to real Nikon.

I'm going to stick with original from now on.

Deezey

I use the Vivitar batteries in the D610. These are fully unlocked batteries. Meaning the D610 works completely with them. No hiccups at all.

I just ordered a new D7100 w/18-140 and part of the deal they give with it was a spare battery. It is the Watson EN-EL15 Lithium-Ion Battery Pack (7.0V, 1800mAh) I read a few reviews and it seemed to be just as good as the original Nikon battery. Guess I will seen soon.

bigal1000

I just ordered a new D7100 w/18-140 and part of the deal they give with it was a spare battery. It is the Watson EN-EL15 Lithium-Ion Battery Pack (7.0V, 1800mAh) I read a few reviews and it seemed to be just as good as the original Nikon battery. Guess I will seen soon.

That's a great deal on the Nikon I just bought the same kit from B@H for $1296. I belive the Nikon battery is a little more powerful though.