Sigma 50mm 1.4 Art series announced..

ShootRaw

No problem..I know from Rick that the 35mm 1.4 is sharp..So I expect the same for the 50mm 1.4. I hope they come out with a ART series 70mm-200mm 2.8 for FX.. Then Nikon and Tamron would be in trouble..Would have to be priced no more then $1500 thou..Another lens on my radar would be a 135mm..Who ever releases one first..Sigma is rumored to continue the Art series prime line up..

Last edited:

rocketman122

All I care is about performance from f/2-5 (I never shoot open aperture) and af speed/accuracy/hunting. 3rd party arent the best with that. the 50 1.8 AFD is lightning quick and sharp from 2.2 so this has to be something special. for $100 it cant be beat.

would love to see more competition in the 70-200 arena. better for everyone. even more than the 70-200 anything the other trio put out that gives nikon a run for the money thats good for us. cause that $2400 price tag is just crazy! the VR1 sold for $1600 when it came out and now $2400? WTH. next version will be $3200?
they are smoking something over there. they better wake up cause that 24% stock drop is not good.

wud

I wanna see comparison with the current 50mm 1.4. I read about the lens on another site but I dont get, how it will look/act different.

rocketman122

as long as the af is faster and its accurate/doesnt hunt and the performance is on par with nikons, and costs less, I will jump in. I dont buy the nikon 1.4G because the AF is very slow. my friend has soo many lenses and got feedback from him. if they sell this for less than the nikon, and its specs are up to par with the G, nikon will take a hurting on sales.

wud

as long as the af is faster and its accurate/doesnt hunt and the performance is on par with nikons, and costs less, I will jump in. I dont buy the nikon 1.4G because the AF is very slow. my friend has soo many lenses and got feedback from him. if they sell this for less than the nikon, and its specs are up to par with the G, nikon will take a hurting on sales.

Agree. Sigh.. I got the Sigma 1.4.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Sigma 50mm f1.4 lens is probably and arguably one of the best 50mm lens is concern based on bokeh or it's oof rendition. Don't expect this lens to be light since the current one has a 77mm filter thread already and is pretty heavy for a 50mm lens.

Sent from my iPhone.

rocketman122

Sigma 50mm f1.4 lens is probably and arguably one of the best 50mm lens is concern based on bokeh or it's oof rendition. Don't expect this lens to be light since the current one has a 77mm filter thread already and is pretty heavy for a 50mm lens.
Sent from my iPhone.

I hope its heavy. I love heavy lenses. it gives me better stability. length and weight sucks. like my 70-200VR. after lugging it around all day, im just too tired to shoot with it towards the end of the wedding. thats why I love the 105VR its a great alternative for snipping on the dance floor.

rocketman122

Agree. Sigh.. I got the Sigma 1.4.

why sigh? How is that lens? focus is accurate? does it hunt? nice bokeh, sharpness? not sure how much better the new one would be. maybe its just nt worth it...on one hand I have the 50 1.8D and im very happy with it. its very fast, accurate and since I shoot from 2.2-5, sharpness is no issue. not sure about going with the sigma but like everyone, I want the more expensive lens. not sure whY I need it, even though I want it.

now when is that 135 1.8 coming out...

wud

why sigh? How is that lens? focus is accurate? does it hunt? nice bokeh, sharpness? not sure how much better the new one would be. maybe its just nt worth it...on one hand I have the 50 1.8D and im very happy with it. its very fast, accurate and since I shoot from 2.2-5, sharpness is no issue. not sure about going with the sigma but like everyone, I want the more expensive lens. not sure whY I need it, even though I want it.

now when is that 135 1.8 coming out...

I think the Sigma are on the slow side, which makes it difficult (for me) to use with e.g. dogs and young kids. Unless I only use it at the end of a session, when they are tired ;) I dont always trust the focus as I do with all my other lenses.
Dont think mine hunt a lot. But it wont always focus straight against sunlight (which I love to do).

Its pretty soft but not hard to adjust in PP. When using my wide, 35 or 105mm, often I dont use sharpen in PP.
The 70-200mm are a bit soft, also, not as much as the 50mm.

It is still a pretty amazing portrait lens, with the smooth bokeh and also the colors - the colors I also find working best with portraits. I takes in a lot, but maybe this is just me who haven't figured it out (e.g. I tried street photography around sunset, toooo much) - I dont have this 'problem' with other lenses though.

The 1.4 can be a little tricky to work with maybe, mostly I find it easy though, but if you do it wrong, the image are definitely ruined. Meaning, if you focus the wrong place, its not something you can save afterwards, specially when using f/1.4.

I was going to get the Nikon 50mm 1.8 but then we looked at the 1.4 buuut then the salesman said, the Sigma was much better in speed and sharpness.

Just thinking out loud: As I remember, my camera should be able to save settings for specific lenses. Maybe I could save a setting, which toned down saturation when I put on the 50mm? Will this setting be saved on a raw file?

ShootRaw

I love my Nikon 50mm 1.8g...Very sharp and capable lens...Im with you Rocket,Where the hell is the 135mm 1.8? LOL..I will be getting whoevers comes out first between Nikon and Sigma...

Rick M

If it's sharper than the Nikon 1.4 (which isn't hard unfortunately) and has great bokeh, it'll be worth the price. I'm on the fence, 50mm is just not an exciting focal length to me.