Should I add a D7100 to my D800?

Geoffc

I had a D300s as my main camera until my D800 came along. The D300s is now my backup camera, but having had it as a backup for over a year I've never picked it up in preference to the D800. This is because even in DX crop mode the D800 has more resolution plus the better DR and High ISO benefits. My concern is that it just just sit on the shelf until it's worthless, whereas today it's worth £400-500. We (My wife) now have a D7100 in our house as well and it's an impressive camera with better resolution in the DX portion of the sensor than the D800. I'm wondering if I should sell the D300s and pay the difference to upgrade to the D7100 as I would regularly pick it up rather than the D800, particularly for wildlife stuff.

Whilst I really like the D300s I'm only really keeping it for sentimental reasons.

Steve B

Yes, they make a good pair. I started with a D7100 and then bought a D800. I don't view the D7100 as my backup camera since for me they each serve different purposes.

Geoffc

Yes, they make a good pair. I started with a D7100 and then bought a D800. I don't view the D7100 as my backup camera since for me they each serve different purposes.

That's my thinking Steve, it would be my camera for certain jobs rather than backup.

ShootRaw

Do it..otherwise the D300 will continue to decrease in value...D7100 is a great camera..Ill trade you for the D800..lol

BackdoorArts

I don't see any issue with it whatsoever. If I wasn't already overblessed with bodies I've had a couple occasions of late where I could see adding a D7100 to my bag, but it would really only fill a 3-5% gap in my overall shooting where I use the D800 in DX mode and could use the extra pixels.

jwstl

That's what I did. D800e and D7100. I use them differently but they go well together.

Last edited:

Geoffc

I don't see any issue with it whatsoever. If I wasn't already overblessed with bodies I've had a couple occasions of late where I could see adding a D7100 to my bag, but it would really only fill a 3-5% gap in my overall shooting where I use the D800 in DX mode and could use the extra pixels.

Jake, as you know from our PM the other day I haven't bought anything for a while so I've got an itch. In reality this will only cost around £300 after I trade in my D300s as they are on rebate at the moment and it's my birthday next month. I already had sign off for a 105 macro but I've decided I don't really need it as we already have a Tamron 90mm macro in the house so I view it as a way of saving money :) I do actually think it will give me two cameras that fulfil totally different jobs so they should both get use which is better than the current situation.

I think I've transferred my most of my NAS into convincing my wife she should get a 400mm lens solution which has been on the cards for a couple of years. That will satisfy me because gold boxes will come to the house and her happy because she gets some pro glass.