My latest purchase

Belo

Just picked up one of these little gems (new) for around $100.

Cant wait to start shooting with it ;)

af_nikkor_50mm_f18D-500x500.jpg

dragion

I too just recently purchased a 4 months old Nikon 50mm f/1.8D with Tiffen 52mm UV Protector Filter from Craigslist for $90 in mint condition.
I added a JJC LS-52 Reversible Lens Hood and replaced the Tiffen with a Nikon 52mm NC filter.
My first "D" lens for my D7000.

7DK_9863.jpg

RON_RIP

There is a lot of chatter on here about the 50mm l.8G's but I still favor the D model. Maybe because that is the one I bought. But I love it. What is the advantage of the Nikon filter over the Tiffen?

dragion

What is the advantage of the Nikon filter over the Tiffen?

I'm not sure if the Nikon has any "advantages" over the Tiffen, but I myself just feel that the Nikon has better glass compared to the Tiffen's.
To me, if I'm going to place anything in front of the lens it should be of high quality and in my opinion Nikon NC filters are and the Tiffen are just good enough.
I have Nikon NC filters on all of my lens, except for my Nikon 85mm f/1.8G which I ordered the B+W Clear UV Haze with MRC...got a good deal on Amazon.

gizmo285

How do you like your 85mm 1.8G. I just ordered one and should be here in 4 days. I am really looking forward to taking some pics with it.

dragion

How do you like your 85mm 1.8G. I just ordered one and should be here in 4 days. I am really looking forward to taking some pics with it.

I find the 85mm f/1.8G is an amazing lens...very sharp.
The shot I took of my 50mm f/1.8D was taken with it wide opened in low light and hand held with the D7000.

You will really enjoy the 85mm...:)

gizmo285

Finally the 85mm arrived. Posted a few pics in my Gallery. Fast focusing and seems very sharp. Too cold and snowy to get out and about with it.

Jeff_J

Finally the 85mm arrived. Posted a few pics in my Gallery. Fast focusing and seems very sharp. Too cold and snowy to get out and about with it.
I am looking at getting a lens similar to do my boys senior pictures. The ones that you posted looked good. Do you think that this lens would work for that? I am also looking to get a 50mm too.

gizmo285

A 50mm on your camera would almost be the same as the 85 on mine. There are a lot of things involved in taking pictures as I am learning here. A lens is just a tool. The eye, composition, camera settings etc. have all to do with taking a great photo. I am still a beginner at this even though I HAVE BEEN TAKING PICS FROM THE 1970'S as a hobbyist an enjoy taking them from all perspectives. No photos are bad but some are better than others. et us know what you decide

dragion

I am looking at getting a lens similar to do my boys senior pictures. The ones that you posted looked good. Do you think that this lens would work for that? I am also looking to get a 50mm too.

Since you shoot DX, I would recommend getting both the AF-S 35mm f/1.8G & AF-S 85mm f/1.8G...skip the 50mm f/1.8.
The 35mm f/1.8G will be great for full body shots and the 85mm f/1.8G for head & shoulders.

I purchased my AF 50mm f/1.8D because it was inexpensive and wanted to get a lens that doesn't have a built in motor to test out on my D7000. :eek:

The choice is always up to you...just my $.02

DraganDL

You bought yourself an excellent lens. Cheap, yet very sharp, with accurate AF and lightweight. It's gonna be quite useful in many situations, including portraiture (on a DX format camera).

Jeff_J

Since you shoot DX, I would recommend getting both the AF-S 35mm f/1.8G & AF-S 85mm f/1.8G...skip the 50mm f/1.8.
The 35mm f/1.8G will be great for full body shots and the 85mm f/1.8G for head & shoulders.

I purchased my AF 50mm f/1.8D because it was inexpensive and wanted to get a lens that doesn't have a built in motor to test out on my D7000. :eek:

The choice is always up to you...just my $.02
Thanks a lot for the advice. It is really appreciated. Another need I have is, to shoot basketball indoors in low to horrible lighting. Would these two selections assist with that?