Didn't work - light painting

wud

Is it simply because my shutter time weren't long enough/it wasn't dark enough yet? Or does the light have to be brighter? I used 2 simple flash lights. Do I have to stay closer?

As you can see, my intention were to make a landscape image with this light painting as a part of it, therefore the distance.

Settings: iso 160, 1/6, f/16 (as high as this lens can go).

kold_strand_4351_web.jpg

MartinCornwall

If the exposure time is only 1/6 sec then it is still way to light. Also your f16 is way too high. The flashlights are not suitable either. You can see that you got several swings in in the exposure time but as the light is within a housing so they don't show up when facing away from the camera. Led lights on a string taped together work much better. It is not really dark enough until about 45 mins after sunset. It is surprising how much of the landscape that will be exposed in 30sec + exposures at this time. Here's a quick example with led lights.
ISO 100, f8, 69.9 secs taken 1 hour after sunset

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 245
Last edited:

BackdoorArts

Shutter speed is too fast at 1/6s. If you can go to ISO 100 you may need to stick an ND on there to give you more time to do your lighting.

What effect are you going for? Are you trying to light the subject or draw circles, wings or something on their back?

wud

If the exposure time is only 1/6 sec then it is still way to light. Also your f16 is way too high. The flashlights are not suitable either. You can see that you got several swings in in the exposure time but as the light is within a housing so they don't show up when facing away from the camera. Led lights on a string taped together work much better. It is not really dark enough until about 45 mins after sunset. It is surprising how much of the landscape that will be exposed in 30sec + exposures at this time. Here's a quick example with led lights.
ISO 100, f8, 69.9 secs taken 1 hour after sunset

Okay, so led light and darker. Thank you. I just wanted her/the figure sharp, but okay, will try again.

Why is f/16 to high? If the exposure time were longer.

wud

Shutter speed is too fast at 1/6s. If you can go to ISO 100 you may need to stick an ND on there to give you more time to do your lighting.

What effect are you going for? Are you trying to light the subject or draw circles, wings or something on their back?

My first try so just something simple as circles, several on top of each other. Just to see the effect. We wanted to do it with fire, but it was way to windy. ND filter is a good idea! I did not bring that.

MartinCornwall

Why is f/16 to high? If the exposure time were longer.[/QUOTE]

Using f/16 means you would need very bright artificial light source. Fire is bright but when spinning fire f/8- f/11 is fine. It would only need to around f/16 or above if you are creating a firewall, which does require no wind. Also at f/16 means that your backgrounds take longer to 'burn in'. If you are using that setting to make the person sharp then ask them to stand a bit stiller. Children are known not to stand still, but can still achieve 30sec exposures with them. Although not sharp but still recognizable. ND filters will give you a longer exposure time but will again require a brighter light source. Its better to wait for it to be darker.
Example 184EmporerScene.jpgChildren recreating Star Wars emperor scene ISO100, f7.1, 30.2secs

wud

Using f/16 means you would need very bright artificial light source. Fire is bright but when spinning fire f/8- f/11 is fine. It would only need to around f/16 or above if you are creating a firewall, which does require no wind. Also at f/16 means that your backgrounds take longer to 'burn in'. If you are using that setting to make the person sharp then ask them to stand a bit stiller. Children are known not to stand still, but can still achieve 30sec exposures with them. Although not sharp but still recognizable. ND filters will give you a longer exposure time but will again require a brighter light source. Its better to wait for it to be darker.
Example View attachment 65424Children recreating Star Wars emperor scene ISO100, f7.1, 30.2secs

Okay, thanks for explaining! I though I could create more sharp lines with the lights with f/16 - I will try again with some different apertures, but when its proper dark.

Last edited:

MartinCornwall

I would even go down as low as ISO 50 if possible or put on a CP or any other filter that will restrict light.

Yes fire can be bright and it's nice to get some late ambient light with the subject as in your shots. Firewalls are on another brightness level altogether.FrontGardenFireWall.jpg Just managed to stop my lens down all the way for this firewall otherwise the ND's would have to have come out. ISO100, f18, 56.6secs. No pp apart from spot removal in LR to hide the details on the side of my van

singlerosa_RIP

speaking of f/16, here's a shot I took in late 2012 of a model Porsche, lit by an LED flashlight. 3 sec, ISO 100 and f/16. D7000 w/Tokina 100 2.8 macro

JFS_6700.jpg

wud

I would even go down as low as ISO 50 if possible or put on a CP or any other filter that will restrict light. Here is some fire spinning that I photographed - http://nikonites.com/low-light-night/11181-fire-spinning.html

Hey! That was my idea!
I know a fire juggler, thought I would ask him to go do fire on the beach with me someday. Images looks very good :)

speaking of f/16, here's a shot I took in late 2012 of a model Porsche, lit by an LED flashlight. 3 sec, ISO 100 and f/16. D7000 w/Tokina 100 2.8 macro

View attachment 65777

That f/16 is a nice one ;) Great image. You just drawed really fast over it?