Hello from Bowie, MD

skater

Well, I started a thread and got some suggestions on my hockey pictures, so I figured I should introduce myself.

My wife and I are hobbyist photographers taking pictures of pretty much everything that isn't people, including: buildings, trains, airplanes, Airstreams, cars, the occasional bird, hockey players (okay, most of them are people), trees, our cats, monuments, museums, ...most anything is fair game. We also do take pictures at friends' weddings and such, trying to stay out of the professional's way, and maybe learn a bit by watching what they do.

We have a D7000 with the 18-105 and 55-200 lenses that I usually use. We also have a D70 with the 28-70 (perhaps? I'd have to check) and a Quantaray 100-300 that my wife uses when she wants to use a DSLR. We also have a 50 mm 1.8, and a Tokina 11-16 wide angle lens we bought from a friend who went full frame. We also have a Promaster flash - I'd never heard of the brand before we bought it, but I've been happy with it every time I use it.

Future lenses: We once got to use a fisheye during a photo safari and my wife loved it, so I suspect we'll get one of those sooner or later. I kind of have my eye on a 35 mm 1.8 - the 50 mm is just too long for most of what I do, so I rarely get to use it unfortunately.

Other equipment - we have a Canon SX130is point-and-shoot, a pretty decent camera, especially for $200. We also have a bizarre little Panasonic A100 video camera that we originally bought because it does interval pictures and doesn't scream "steal me" like the D7000 would. (If you use it the way Panasonic intended, it screams "Dork!" instead.) So far the only major thing I've done with that is a time lapse video of a gameroom show.

I suppose I should post a few example pictures since this is a photography forum...
Here's one from a friends' wedding. The horror on her face, the groom enjoying the ride, and the chaos below means this picture always brings me a smile; the bride later said this was the best picture of that moment. The biggest problem with it was that I was using the built-in flash so I had 5 pairs of red-eye to correct....
box3roll87_770.jpg

This was from an Airstream rally last year. There was a bonfire supplying light, and I saw the yellow flames reflected on the aluminum trailers, so I grabbed the tripod. Afterward, my wife liked the corrected coloring, while I liked the original uncorrected color, so I kept both.
box3roll82_316.jpg

box3roll82_315.jpg

This is the GG-1 that the B&O Railroad Museum in Baltimore has. It's (in)famous for having crashed into Union Station in DC, cut up, removed, and put back together, then serving many more years before finally being retired. At this point it's just a sad rusting hulk.
box3roll83_066.jpg

Mfrankfort

Welcome! Great pictures. Jewish wedding? When we did the Hora my wife was not quite smiling how she was in that picture. It looked like a scene out of a horror movie, lol. Mostly because everyone holding both of us were drinking all night. lol.

skater

Thanks, everyone.

Welcome to Nikonites! Get your wife to join up too!!

Unlikely - she doesn't bother with forums at all. I'll pass along the great things here though. :) I was showing her a couple examples I enjoyed from the "near miss" thread last night.

Welcome! Great pictures. Jewish wedding?

No, and that was the best part - it was totally unexpected. It was the band's singer's idea, and he joked that he was probably the only Jewish person in the room. It was one of the more memorable moments in a wedding that I've seen. :)

Mfrankfort

It's a fun tradition. But depending on how many drinks the people had holding the chair... it can be scary. I only had 3 people holding mine, so I had a corner dropping down a bit, and THAT was scary. haha. It's definitely fun. Everyone should try it at least once, haha.