"Operation Migration" Whooping Cranes landed in my County

Mike D90

Well dang! Those famous Whooping Cranes that are led through migration by ultra-light aircraft (Operation Migration) landed in my home county December 31st. They will not disclose the location though and the cranes are not available for public viewing at this site. Their last stop is 28 miles away to the St. Marks refuge where the end of journey event will be held.

I cannot make it to the St. Marks event but I am going to attempt to find this local stop over site and try to get some photos as they become airborne if, and its a big weather condition if, they do indeed fly out tomorrow (Friday) and they are speculating it will actually be Saturday when they take off. If it is Saturday I am back at work and will miss it completely.

I am betting they are close to our airport as that is also in the middle of a National refuge area.

Jonathan

Well dang! Those famous Whooping Cranes that are led through migration by ultra-light aircraft (Operation Migration) landed in my home county December 31st ... I am betting they are close to our airport as that is also in the middle of a National refuge area.
An airport in the middle of an endangered birds' national refuge area? How does that work??? Whatever, hope you get some snaps to share.

BackdoorArts

An airport in the middle of an endangered birds' national refuge area? How does that work??? Whatever, hope you get some snaps to share.

Florida is a vast array of (way too) flat, wet open spaces, which are great refuges for many birds. Given that people aren't too fond of living in flight paths it has been common practice to set up wildlife preserves around airports. So it's not so much that you put an airport in the middle of one as it is designating preserved spaces around one (in truth, they were preserved before the airport, it's just they didn't have the traffic). I'm guessing Mike's airport is of the smaller, private variety and not one hosting large commercial jets, particularly given that this project would choose to bring the birds there.

For those unfamiliar with the project, Operation Whooping Crane is a project that seeks to save the nearly extinct species of bird in this country. Each year a group of men lead a migration of birds using ultralight aircraft, from their summer home in the northern states to their winter home in FL, making stops along the way and keeping track of all the birds. It's quite fascinating as the men dress as birds when they are around them to help. Quite fascinating. When they fly they broadcast live, so you can watch the birds fly with them. Link is on the site.

Unfortunately, Mike, it looks like they're grounded today due to winds.

Mike D90

No, its in the fringes of the Apalachicola National Forest which is a wildlife preserve but not an endangered bird preserve. To my knowledge there are no endangered bird preserves near me.

The airport is a small regional complex that lands smaller commercial jets, FedEx hub, puddle jumper flights and carriers and some military aircraft along with helicopters. I think there are three or four strips only. Its small but busy.

Last edited:

Mike D90

For those unfamiliar with the project, Operation Whooping Crane is a project that seeks to save the nearly extinct species of bird in this country. Each year a group of men lead a migration of birds using ultralight aircraft, from their summer home in the northern states to their winter home in FL, making stops along the way and keeping track of all the birds. It's quite fascinating as the men dress as birds when they are around them to help. Quite fascinating. When they fly they broadcast live, so you can watch the birds fly with them. Link is on the site.

Unfortunately, Mike, it looks like they're grounded today due to winds.

I cannot find the flight cams. If I could see them fly into Leon County I would know where they are.