Heya from Devon, UK :)

Marni

Heya

I’m from Paignton, but for the last 6 months I have lived in Okehampton to be nearer Dartmoor, great place for photography.

I bought my D3200 just before Christmas and have been playing around with the settings (I just don’t get the setting and no matter how much I read or how much my boyfriend drums it into my head I just can’t take it in, hopefully soon lol)

It was bought mainly for taking photos of my dog who I cannot keep still on walks and when he does keep still as soon as the camera is pointed at him or he hears the noise of it switching on he is off again lol. I have only got a handful of photos I like of him, most are of me getting him to sit for a ball but they just looked forced and unnatural which isn’t what I wanted.

I hope to learn a lot about the camera and how to use it, I’m just saving for a new lens now. I have been told by a few friends that I need a 55-250 or a 70-300 but some say I don’t need the 70 one and others say the 55 is a waste of time so I am stuck. Since getting the camera I have wanted to take a lot of landscape photos mainly because where I live is stunning so I need landscape photos as well as my dog.

I will add my best photos tomorrow :) does anyone else have issues typing posts with a tablet on this site?

Last edited:

southwestsam

Greetings! I'm also a Devonian :)

Reference your lens requirements and what your friends have told you - you only need something that allows you to do what you want to do. e.g. You could spend £16,000 on a super-telephoto lens that would get great pictures of small birds from hundreds of feet - but you probably don't need (or want) to do that.

I'm assuming you got the 18-55mm kit lens with it? That will be more than capable of taking decent pictures of your dog at 1/400 shutter speed or faster in good daylight. You will only experience problems when you want to take pics in low light and you need a fast shutter speed (if he is running around, for example).

This is a good starting point for understanding how your camera works.

For me, I started out by researching these three things (the exposure triangle):

- Aperture
- ISO
- Shutter Speed

If you know what each of those do, and the effect that they have on your photographs, the easier it will be to get the effect that you want when you're taking snaps.

There's a lot of information to take in, but the more you understand/know, the more control you will have.

Marni

Lol, Shadow is usually a little dot in the distance hence wanting a better lens. He also never keeps still, all the photos were taken with him focused on a ball (either thrown or held).I want the other lens because when he is in the distance (99% of the time) and turns to look at me he looks so handsome and I just cant zoom in enough to get it.

These are the best I have gotten so far. Sorry if they havent uploaded correctly.

Attachments

• DSC_0004.jpg
    DSC_0004.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 51
  • DSC_0041.jpg
    DSC_0041.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 48
  • DSC_0102.jpg
    DSC_0102.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 51
  • DSC_0143.jpg
    DSC_0143.jpg