50mm VS 85mm

Flugelbinder

Very good Scott. Just a reminder, for those who shoot DX bodies, the 85 will "act" as a 105 because of the crop factor (105 is considered the "perfect portrait lens" by many)... Very good indeed.

WayneF

Same thing said another way...

Regardless if FX or DX or a compact camera, to minimize such perspective problems, simply always stand back from the subject about seven feet (we can argue if six or eight feet is enough, but don't stand too close. Too close is obvious bad news.) Then from that position, simply use the lens or zoom that gives the view you seek.

Saying use X focal length is too simple-minded, without concern for the actual perspective problem. Perspective is only about where you stand. The longer lens just makes you stand back further. And X focal length is without regard for the view you seek, head and shoulders, or standing full length. Just always stand back at least six or eight feet, then zoom in or out to hearts content.

The only reason 105mm was considered a good portrait lens (for FX 35mm film) is because it did force standing back for a head and shoulder view. 105 is not magic - Standing back is the property for perspective. Seems a good thing to realize.

Last edited:

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Same thing said another way...

Regardless if FX or DX or a compact camera, to minimize such perspective problems, simply always stand back from the subject about seven feet (we can argue if six or eight feet is enough, but don't stand too close. Too close is obvious bad news.) Then from that position, simply use the lens or zoom that gives the view you seek.

Saying use X focal length is too simple-minded, without concern for the actual perspective problem. Perspective is only about where you stand. The longer lens just makes you stand back further. And X focal length is without regard for the view you seek, head and shoulders, or standing full length. Just always stand back at least six or eight feet, then zoom in or out to hearts content.

The only reason 105mm was considered a good portrait lens (for FX 35mm film) is because it did force standing back for a head and shoulder view. 105 is not magic - Standing back is the property for perspective. Seems a good thing to realize.

Having shot portraits with large format (4x5, 5x7 view cameras), I agree 100% with you on this one. Learn how to use you lenses and experiment on what you and your customers find pleasing. You can't rely on internet "hearsay" for 100% of your decisions.

Flugelbinder

Having shot portraits with large format (4x5, 5x7 view cameras), I agree 100% with you on this one. Learn how to use you lenses and experiment on what you and your customers find pleasing. You can't rely on internet "hearsay" for 100% of your decisions.

Absolutely. Most of my coments are from experience. I don´t usually "speak" about something I´m not comfortable with...

crycocyon

Funny thing about the comparison is that I actually prefer the images with the 50mm, even though I prefer using the 85 mm for portraits. It depends on how close you are to the subject as that will exaggerate the distortion being closer.