What all filters or lens I needed with my D3100

sravan.starke

I live in a city and i study at a hill/high range area. Most of my photographies are on the hill area since i will spent my 4 years for my graduation at there. May be few you know about the place , its called Munnar in Kerala, one of the best Tourist Location and natural beautiful place.( Search on google Munnar,kerala ) . So Now i only have is a new D3100 and a UV filter. What all Filters or Lens that i need for the Landscape photography at place?? The place is almost full of fog and almost greenish everywhere. Let me know what will be the best combination over there

Deezey

Nd filters allow you to slow down shutter speeds in bright light. Most times in direct sunlight you will not be able to get your shutter speed slow enough to smooth out running water creating that creamy textured effect.

A CPL is used to cut glare and reflections. For example when photographing a pool of water. It will remove the reflections so you can see the rocks and such below the surface. With CPL's though you need to pay attention to where the sun is. Usually you have to be 90 degrees from the sun in order to get the full effect across the entire image. Basically CPL's cut glare and reflections and increase contrast.

Last edited:

§am

Lens will depend on your budget and whether you want to stick to Nikon or are willing to try other manufacturers.

The Tokina 11-16mm lens is meant to be a very nice wide angle lens, and would probably compliment your 18-55mm lens well (assuming you had a kit D3100)

480sparky

Thats costly for me :(

You are gonna find out that good gear costs good money.

There is no such thing as two pieces of gear, both performing exactly the same, where one is half the cost as the other. I.E., two lenses, identical in all aspects, where one costs $1000 and the other costs $500. If such a situation were to occur, the $1000 lens would disappear from the market as the manufacturer would quit making them because they can't sell any. That, or they would be forced to drop their price in half.

This is analogous to saying you want a top-end sports car, but can't afford $250,000. Now, if there were autos that performed just as good as Ferraris and Lamborghinis that sold for $50,000, how many top-end sports cars would be sold?

Everything is a compromise. If you buy a cheaper lens, you're getting one or more of the following:

1. Cheaper glass.
2. Less glass.
3. More weight.
4. Slower aperture.
5. Slower (or no) autofocus.
6. No VR.
7. More chromatic abberation.
8. More astigmatism.
9. More coma.
10. More distortion (barrel, pincushion, or compound/mustache).
11. Physically larger.
12. Odd filter size.

Cheap gear is not good, and good gear is not cheap.

§am

What would be helpful (and not just for you but for others wanting help in choosing a lens), is what is your budget?
Without this, we can all probably recommend different out of budget lenses for you, but it would be a potential waste of time if they're all too expensive.

I work in IT and people constantly ask me, what's the best laptop etc to buy, and my first question always is, how much do you want to spend, and what do you want to use it for.
Once you have those two bits of information, the advice giving falls nicely into place.... and the same applies here :)

dragion

I personally use these:
Nikon NC
B+W MRC

Ordered this and waiting:
Marumi Super DHG

Heard this one was good:
Hoya Pro1

All the filters are for lens protection...