VR should be ON and OFF at what all situations?

sravan.starke

Since im not a pro in photography, As a newbie, i would like to know about where should i need to turn the VR ON and OFF. I've gone too much sites and DB to know what is VR and i think i got a little bit idea about what is VR. A simple and short description about VR will be grateful and dont let this thread to go after What is VR , need to know where this should be ON and OFF

Eob

VR is vibrate reduction. It corrects slight shaking from you holding the camera. So keep it on. You turn it off if you use a tripod, because the tripod makes it perfectly still, so trying to correct perfect stillness can mess with the photo. I highly recommend d3100 for dummies. Its on amazon. im almost done reading it

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Before VR, the rule of thumb was to use a shutter speed equal or faster to the length of your lens. So if you are using a 50mm lens, you'd want a shutter speed of at least 1/50 second or faster. If you are shooting with a 200mm lens, you'd want a shutter speed of at least 1/200 second or faster. With a DX body, you'd have to calculate the crop factor into the equation.

With VR, it allows slower shutter speeds to be used...sometimes up to 3-4 stops slower. If you don't use VR when hand holding and your shutter speeds are slow, you run the risk of having some blur in your photos from not holding the camera steady enough. You need to be aware of your shutter speed so you will know when to turn it on. Always keep it off when attaching and removing the lens from the camera. Keep it off when using a tripod. Use it if your shutter speed is slower than the length of your lens but providing your shutter speed isn't more than 3-4 stops slower. If it is more than 3-4 stops slower, consider using a tripod or change the camera's settings (ISO and/or aperture) so your shutter speed falls within an acceptable limit.

Last edited:

Eob

Its a book, called Nikon D3100 for Dummies. It explains how to use the camera very simply and with lots of pictures

sravan.starke

I leave VR turned off, unless I specifically need it for something; which is very, very rare.

Yup that what i needed to know. Should i leave this thing ON always. So at last , the conclusion i can get is that , VR should be turned on When the shutter speed is low and there is no Tripod available

Geoffc

I hardly ever think to take it off, even though I've read the article about VR at shutter speeds faster than 1/500th sec. In fact when I've experimented at faster shutter speeds I didn't notice a difference.

VRII doesn't seem to get upset on a tripod as I understand it can sense it.

VR and the higher ISO capabilities of modern sensors make it easy to handhold in many more situations.

Sandpatch

I normally leave my VR on, except when using a tripod. It sounds silly, but I shoot a lot of trains and sometimes I suffer from "buck fever" when a shot is upon me. Just like a hunter, my hands will sometimes shake as a perfect shot unfolds and I try to time my exposure for perfect composition. There's rarely a second chance when shooting moving trains, though sometimes I shoot in the Continuous setting as assure better success. I'm certain that the VR has saved numerous shots, especially those I shoot with a zoomed setting.

I often forget to turn VR off when changing lenses, but I am gentle with my equipment and hope I've not damaged anything.

sravan.starke

Im also now turning off my VR at higher shutter speeds and when ever i remove my lens. Got this pic today evening with VR

DSC_0068.jpgDSC_0074.jpg