D7100 and compatible lenses

Alistair

Hello all. New member here!

I bought my D7100 a couple of months ago and am enjoying using it (previous camera was a D80), but I am in the process of wanting to progress with more lenses. I have got the standard 18-105 lens that came with the camera, and I also bought a Nikkor 50mm f/1.4, which is great for portrait work.

I do quite a bit of landscape photography and would like to move in to this area more, with a far better lens that's suited to the job. Any suggestions? I'm a bit clueless really as to how to identify what lenses are compatible with the D7100. I wish websites that sold lenses would say "Compatible with..." It would make the task of shopping for a new lens far easier.

Have you guys got any tips for me on how to identify which lenses will work fine with the D7100? I'm pretty clued up with the camera, it's just the lenses confuse me a little. For example - Is the Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 compatible? And how do I find out?

Thanks in advance! :)

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Welcome to Nikonites.

All Nikon lenses that are auto-focused (AF, AF-S) and also manual lenses AI, AI-S would work with your D7100. The manual would not auto-focus though. The 70-200 2.8 certainly would work nicely on your D7100.

Welcome to NAS (Nikon Acquisition Syndrome), the never ending obsession of Nikon users. :)

Alistair

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated. That's an easy way to see if a lens is compatible - Thank you! I'm sure I shall be bothering this forum with many questions!! The more I read, the more jargon I pick up, and the more confused I become. Recently bought the NIKON SLR HANDBOOK (part 2), and it's answering questions for me, but also raising quite a few too. Which is why I've decided to join this forum.

Course, the 70-200mm is a superb lens, but it is also a bit....pricey!!!

Jonathan

Welcome Alistair. I have a recent D7100 and am enjoying it enormously. My main lens is an 18-300mm Nikon but I also have 40mm and 85mm Nikon micro lenses.

Alistair

Hi Jonathan. I have a few years experience with Nikon cameras now, but very little experience with lenses. I think it's the general cost that has held me back. I have always believed in buying the best that I can afford, so I'm after feedback about the best telephoto lens that you guys can recommend that doesn't cost £1000+. I don't do professional photography so a lens such as the 70-200mm is just beyond my means unfortunately.

I'm fortunate to live right on the coast, and around where I live we have a lot of water sports/activities and I'm looking to photograph that a lot more, as I'm very restricted with what I've got. Countless times I've been out with my camera and have seen what would have been an awesome shot had I had a suitable lens that was up to the challenge.

P.S - Another reason that I never really bothered with expensive upgraded lenses is that, even at the time the D80 was fairly new, I realised the image quality wouldn't serve an expensive lens any justice. But the D7100's image quality and detail is superb. Hence my current interest in lens upgrades.

Last edited:

Alistair

Well chaps I have splashed out on the Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II lens. A lot of dosh, for certain. But I think it's a worthy purchase from all that I've read and researched. Just the lens I'm after to progress.

Geoffc

Well chaps I have splashed out on the Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II lens. A lot of dosh, for certain. But I think it's a worthy purchase from all that I've read and researched. Just the lens I'm after to progress.

Alistair

I've got that lens and it's fantastic, so much so my wife also bought a second one for herself last week. I'm intrigued as you said you couldn't get a £1000+ lens but you did!! If it's new and under £1000 don't even tell me or I'll be very unhappy.

I have the nikon TC-20e III teleconvertor on mine which works quite well. My wife also has a kenko 1.4 teleconvertor which turns it into a 280mm F4 lens. I've not tried that in anger but it looked good when testing the focus.

I strongly recommend that you check the autofocus and fine tune as necessary to get the best results. We have two D7100s and a D800 and each lens/body pair requires a different setting.

Alistair

Hi Geoff. Worry not, it was a brand new purchase and it cost full-whack. I was going to order it through my local camera shop but they couldn't get it in stock until next Friday, so I ended up ordering it via Amazon for the same price. I always prefer to buy through a local shop, and would have if past experience with their delivery wasn't so poor. I had a bonus (of sorts) at work, and I added to that (quite significantly) to buy the lens :) Your positive feedback on the lens is good to hear, by the way. I have yet to test it out. My camera is going in for a mini service tomorrow so I shall purchase a new tripod and bag at the same time (that's going to cost in itself!!). I know the lens comes with a decent bag, but I prefer to have the lens connected to the camera before leaving the house so I need a bag that can take both when connected. Thanks for the info on the teleconverter. I shall definitely look in to getting one of them in the near future. My camera fund is dry at the moment though, haha!! I am hoping to go out tomorrow afternoon with the camera/lens, so shall post my initial thoughts tomorrow evening sometime! Thanks again.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
The Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 is definitely one of the best investments that I have made when it comes to photography equipment, even better than a camera body purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Geoffc

Hi Geoff. Worry not, it was a brand new purchase and it cost full-whack. I was going to order it through my local camera shop but they couldn't get it in stock until next Friday, so I ended up ordering it via Amazon for the same price. I always prefer to buy through a local shop, and would have if past experience with their delivery wasn't so poor. I had a bonus (of sorts) at work, and I added to that (quite significantly) to buy the lens :) Your positive feedback on the lens is good to hear, by the way. I have yet to test it out. My camera is going in for a mini service tomorrow so I shall purchase a new tripod and bag at the same time (that's going to cost in itself!!). I know the lens comes with a decent bag, but I prefer to have the lens connected to the camera before leaving the house so I need a bag that can take both when connected. Thanks for the info on the teleconverter. I shall definitely look in to getting one of them in the near future. My camera fund is dry at the moment though, haha!! I am hoping to go out tomorrow afternoon with the camera/lens, so shall post my initial thoughts tomorrow evening sometime! Thanks again.

Alistair

We got ours during the £160 rebate that Nikon uk ran recently. It made it around £1440. As for bags, I bought us each a Lowepro AW75 top loader pro a couple of years ago. I said when I bought it that one day I would fill it as it takes the 70-200 2.8 and body attached. It was a bit of a dream at the time. Now we have filled both :)

I can thoroughly recommend this as a compact bag as it's well padded and has useful pockets.

bigal1000

You can use any Nikon ai,ais manual focus or AF lenses from about 1977 on that will work great but the older ones need you to focus them.

Last edited:

Alistair

Thanks, Big Al :)

Alistair
We got ours during the £160 rebate that Nikon uk ran recently. It made it around £1440. As for bags, I bought us each a Lowepro AW75 top loader pro a couple of years ago. I said when I bought it that one day I would fill it as it takes the 70-200 2.8 and body attached. It was a bit of a dream at the time. Now we have filled both :)

I can thoroughly recommend this as a compact bag as it's well padded and has useful pockets.

Thanks again, Geoff. In the end I bought a 'Kata' bag, which fits the camera/lens perfectly, included a waterproof cover (I do a lot of hiking), and various pockets. It's all very well made. One of my other bags is a Lowepro and that's superb too (although a lot smaller).

As for the lens itself. Well I've been out with it twice, but the weather hasn't been ideal so haven't had much use out of it yet. Caught a great sunset with it yesterday, but again it was very windy on the coast and I just couldn't frame my shots as I'd like. Using the lens is easier than I thought. It's bulky, yes, but a joy to use (so far anyway!). Incredible build quality. It looks amazing when attached to the camera. I feel like a pro, haha!

I also bought a new tripod for it (a sturdier model than the one I already had). I can't remember the make off the top of my head (it's currently in my garage), but it's a good piece of kit.

Shall post further thoughts on here as and when I have used the lens some more. All-in this last weekend has been the most expensive of my life (on a mini-purchase). I spent £1600 on the lens, and a further £300 in the camera shop on the tripod, bag and service!! Oh, and I ordered the lens as part of the Nikon Cashback deal too, but I am just waiting for them to review my receipts (no reply from them yet, however).

Alistair :)

Last edited: