Flash or prime lens

Dazm66

Hi all, newbie here. I've just upgraded from a D3100 to a D7000 and glad I made the step up (ok the images in good light are no better, but the way it handles low light, speed and accuracy of focussing and layout of buttons/controls has blown me away).

Nikon in the UK are doing a cash back offer and I've just received my prepaid card from them with £70. I brought the camera with the kit 18-105 zoom and also have a 55-300. So I'm thinking of putting the money towards either the 35mm 1.8 or a speedlight SB-400.

So I'm looking for recommendations as to which should be my next purchase. Which would you have in the bag first?

Thanks

RockyNH_RIP

I am with Rick on this... based on those choices, lens would be it. I would give some serious thought when you are ready for a flash on what you want to achieve and whether the SB 400 will do it. It is someone limiting depending on your needs/desires.

Pat in NH

Lee532

I'd go with the lens, I'll be getting my hands on mine in the morning finally!
Also have a read here about the Yongnuo 568 flash that is a lot cheaper than the Nikons. I'll be getting my hands on one of those in the morning as well :)

nickt

While I love my sb-400, I'm not sure it might be what you need for a first flash. It's only slightly more powerful than the onboard flash and can be be aimed up for some bounce. Not much power for many bounce situations though. It saves your camera battery and its very compact. It works out good for some of my close-up shots and some indoor people shots. For instance, I take it for things like a special occasion dinner at a restaurant. It gives some added light and I don't look like a news reporter. For a first flash, I'd recommend an sb-700 or one of the popular Yongnuos. You can do more with it.

dragion

I myself just purchased the D7000 and came from a D3100.
I actually ended up selling my SB-400 due to the restrictions of the flash and ordered the Yongnuo YN-565EX for about the same price I sold it.

I already own the Nikon 35mm f/1.8 and highly recommend it over the SB-400 flash.
I also just picked up the Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D and love it!...you could also consider this lens.

RON_RIP

I say go with lens, also. i use a flash as seldom as possible and rely on my fast lenses and awesome ISO manipulation to get the shot. If you ever start doing weddings or fashion shoots then buy the best flash out there.