Max Memory Card Write Speed?

filterxg

Does anybody know where I can find the max memory card write speed for Nikon Cameras? Write speeds are my biggest complaint, but I don't want to buy more card than I can use.

Specifically I'm looking for the D5200, and P330 but similar cameras would be helpful too. 45 minutes on Google wasn't coming up with anything useful.

Thanks!

WayneF

This might steer you in the right direction.

Best Memory Card for Nikon D5200 | Switchback Travel

Be careful what you believe on the internet. :) That article is only superficially echoing back the card advertising. It did not test anything in any camera. For example, it claims that the SanDisk Extreme Pro can write 95 MB/second (Sandisk advertises that), and probably it might do it in a fast computer USB 3.0 port, but Gailbaith tested actuals for that card in cameras this way:

D7000 SD 24 MB/second writes
D700 Compact 33 MB/second writes
D800 Compact 61 MB/second writes (UHS-1)

Technology is improving, and fast cards are faster than slow cards, and fast cameras are faster than slower cameras, and Compact cards are faster than SD cards - but camera writes are not likely near as advertised.

Computer reads can run that fast if in a USB 3.0 card reader, which can be important when you are transferring a few hundred images.

The newest cameras (including D3200, D5200, D7100, D600, D800) spec to support UHS-1 cards (ultra high speed).

So for cameras that do, get a card (and USB 3.0 card reader) that also supports UHS-1.
UHS-1 claims writes of 100 MB/sec, but the camera also has other things to do too, processing and compressing the image file, writing the internal buffer, etc.

Card speed is not very important if writing one JPG file every now and then. A burst of Raw files becomes important. Card reader speed at the computer can seem important.

And card speed is not important for writing video. Any old class 6 card is fine for video (except you may want the computer read to go faster).

Last edited:

PapaST

eessh... yeah WayneF is right. I originally looked up the write speeds for D5200 and I was going to make my recommendations from there and came across that as the first or second hit.

WayneF

That web site is pap... it's designed to do one thing, that's re-direct and get associate fees through the Amazon links...

Kinda like the embedded automatic links in our text in this forum. :) It tends to mask and hide our own links, but most of everything on the internet is to produce income.

filterxg

Thanks. I knew UHS-1 was supported, but there are a whole range of speeds within it from 30mb/s up past 100mb/s. I figure 45mb/s write speed is probably the sweet spot for my camera, not leaving much margin on either the camera or card....still would be nice if Nikon would publish this info.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk