New nikon user from Canada

luwindo

Just switched to Nikon coming from Pentax after 7 years.
Got tired waiting for FF from Pentax and decided to get a D600 after finding one used for a great price.

Looking forward to learn more about nikon gear

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Welcome to Nikonites. I hope you enjoy your D600 as much as I do mine. I find it's a great camera with fantastic IQ.

fotojack

Just switched to Nikon coming from Pentax after 7 years.
Got tired waiting for FF from Pentax and decided to get a D600 after finding one used for a great price.

Looking forward to learn more about nikon gear

Well you certainly came to the right place. :) Welcome to Nikonites. Ummm...you say you're from Canada. Could you narrow that down a bit...which province? :)

luwindo

Welcome to Nikonites. I hope you enjoy your D600 as much as I do mine. I find it's a great camera with fantastic IQ.

IQ is fantastic but I'd be lying if I say that there are no few quirks (bad ISO button placement, no EV or metering button on the BG, and some interface difference between pentax and nikon)

fotojack

IQ is fantastic but I'd be lying if I say that there are no few quirks (bad ISO button placement, no EV or metering button on the BG, and some interface difference between pentax and nikon)

Well...it's not so much bad ISO button placement. It's more of your getting used to where THIS one is. :) I was a Pentax K1000 shooter, and I had to get used to all the different things on my Nikons. Takes a little time, but you'll get used to it. :)

luwindo

Well...it's not so much bad ISO button placement. It's more of your getting used to where THIS one is. :) I was a Pentax K1000 shooter, and I had to get used to all the different things on my Nikons. Takes a little time, but you'll get used to it. :)

Its not bad when working in AV since one of the dials can be set to adjust ISO, but when working in Manual mode and with a heavy lens I usually have my left hand to support the lens and that means I have to take my off the VF to change the ISO.

D600 has great customization options but there are a few things that I don't understand.
Like zooming in playback mode using the dial instead of the button or if I want to see shooting info/histogram I have to go to reduced image preview with the info filling up the screen instead of just having it as an overlay like this: http://www.steves-digicams.com/2008_reviews/pentax_k20d/k20d_play.jpg http://www.photographyreview.com/channels/photographyreview/data/images/pentaxk10d_display4.jpg.

Another weird omission is not being able to save images in folders with the date as the folder name.

No EV comp / ISO / Metering buttons on the BG are weird too....but the joystick is nice to have

Those above are my biggest quirks from otherwise a fine camera, I can get used to the rest except for the ISO button.

I really wish the BKT or record button can be re-assigned to ISO button, maybe someone here is a programmer and can create a "hacked" firmware :p

Last edited: