Nikon lenses from Asia

Nathan Lanni

Been thinking about getting an 85mm 1.4 or 1.8, and being a long time ebay purchaser, I always look there to get an idea of the real market price.

Lately I've noticed a comparable lens shipping from Japan or South Korea will be $100 cheaper than an identical product shipping within the US.

I understand the "gray" products like cameras identified and advertised as such on Adorama, but it seems different for a lens made somewhere in Asia and shipped from Asia.

Are the ones on ebay knock offs?

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
these lenses are not knock offs as you call them. It's just that their warranties won't be covered by Nikon US or Canada since they did not import and sell them to the dealer who is selling them to you. They are the same lenses sold by an unauthorized (by Nikon US that is) importer.

Nathan Lanni

these lenses are not knock offs as you call them. It's just that their warranties won't be covered by Nikon US or Canada since they did not import and sell them to the dealer who is selling them to you. They are the same lenses sold by an unauthorized (by Nikon US that is) importer.

Thanks Marcel,

So the correct term for them is "gray", right?

Nathan Lanni

That's what they're called. Not sure if it's "grey" or "gray" though... :)

I'm certainly confused about down here in the States. :)

So my risk is even though they claim to have manufacture's warranty, I would save $100 now but gamble on getting it fixed somewhere in Asia if somethings goes wrong?

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I'm certainly confused about down here in the States. :)

So my risk is even though they claim to have manufacture's warranty, I would save $100 now but gamble on getting it fixed somewhere in Asia if somethings goes wrong?

Or pay for the repair if Nikon US agrees even to look at the problem. I've been told that they sometimes refuse to work on an gray-grey import product. I can understand that since they didn't make a profit (which in part is the warranty they give), they won't repair it for free, but why would they refuse to be paid to repair something is above me.

nikonpup

check with the asia company if they have free shipping on a warranty repair (if they have a warranty). Shipping costs would easly eat up any purchase savings.

LensWork

Or pay for the repair if Nikon US agrees even to look at the problem. I've been told that they sometimes refuse to work on an gray-grey import product. I can understand that since they didn't make a profit (which in part is the warranty they give), they won't repair it for free, but why would they refuse to be paid to repair something is above me.

Nikon USA will NOT repair anything other than product imported by them. You can not even pay for an out-of-warranty repair on a grey market item. They will not touch it.