Looking for a feature matrix for Nikon DSLRs

Rusty Jones

OK, might be looking for my first DSLR, and I was wondering where I can find a feature matrix for the Nikon DSLRs? I have some features in my head i would really want, like a shutter release that has little to no lag, like a film camera, and being able to use existing lenses.
thanks!

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
Rusty, but existing lenses I assume you mean older Nikkor AF lenses? For those you'll need an in body focus motor, so D3000 to D5300 are out.

Horoscope Fish

OK, might be looking for my first DSLR, and I was wondering where I can find a feature matrix for the Nikon DSLRs? I have some features in my head i would really want, like a shutter release that has little to no lag, like a film camera, and being able to use existing lenses.
Shutter lag was a problem with early point and shoots but that's been all but eradicated in the P&S market and it's unheard of in the DSLR market. You can scratch that concern right from the get-go; it's just not an issue any more.

As for using your existing lenses the chances your lens will fit is quite high, assuming it's a Nikon mount, but there may be certain features, such as Auto Focus, that will not work. There are many variables that will determine this, though, so it would most likely be easier for everyone if you were to tell us what lenses you have and we could give you feedback based on what you have.

Lastly, I've never seen one single matrix that completely specs out every Nikon DSLR you might run across. If you tell us more about what you want to do, photographically speaking; explain your skill level and what your budget for this is, we could better help you pin down some options.

Rusty Jones

OK, I can narow it down a little.
This is going to be a 'family' camera. The Misses mentioned how she liked the Canon DSLR her friend has and my ears perked up! I have been shooting on and off for 15+/- years, mostly film nothing serious, just hobby stuff. The Misses is a point and shoot user, and probably not much more, unless this sparks an intrest in her. So it has be be capable of full manual as well as full Program. Subjects are family and kid activities. I'll probably use it more for stuff to hang on the wall, she will use it for stuff to put into family photo album.

Budget is about $1,100 US +/- (body)
Unfortunately due to the budget, FX sensors are out :(
Needs built in flash
would be nice to share lenses with my other Nikons (see below)
video would be nice, HD 1080p
built in mics, mic jack
live video out??? maybe
Raw flies
date/time stamp
mirror lockup
DOF preview
stuff like that.

Stuff i have

Nikon FG + MD
50mm 1.8? (not the expensive on, but the standard one)
Sigma 80-210 zoom
SB-100 flash

Nikon N/F 80 x2
50mm AF
Nikon 85-?? cheap kit zoom lens

It's not a lot, but it's what I have at the moment.

A quick look and the D7100 looks nice, any opinions?

Horoscope Fish

... A quick look and the D7100 looks nice, any opinions?
Aaaaaand you just answered your own question. Seriously... Look no further.

If you can, I would personally suggest you avoid the more common 18-55mm lens that will be the ubiquitous stock-option lens; instead, look for a D7100 that comes with the Nikon 18-105mm as stock or, if you're willing go a little deeper ($$), the Nikon 18-140mm. You can also buy a "body only" camera and then purchase lenses separately. This can wind up costing you a little more in short term, but then too you don't wind up with a lens you don't want.

Not that there's anything *wrong* with the 18-55mm lens, mind you; it's just the 18-105mm is so much BETTER. Trust me on this. And while I feel the 18-140mm is overpriced, it's also just about drool-worthy at the same time. For someone like yourself, this combination would probably hold you over for a looooong time.

Last edited:

Bill16

I agree with HF! Sounds like you found a top notch Nikon that should fit your needs great! The D7100 is an awesome model from all I've heard! :D

PS. Welcome to nikonites! :D

Rusty Jones

Thanks.

Quick question on the older lenses. I remember reading that some of the lenes from the 35mm film cameras could not be used on the DX sensor cameras, due to the glass movement inside the lens. Something about the lens glass hitting the sensor.

Bill16

Don't use non-ai lenses. Ai lenses work fine, as you can see from my signature, I have several Ai lenses that I can use. Some non-ai lenses if converted to ai work great too. :)

Thanks.

Quick question on the older lenses. I remember reading that some of the lenes from the 35mm film cameras could not be used on the DX sensor cameras, due to the glass movement inside the lens. Something about the lens glass hitting the sensor.

Bob Blaylock

Thanks.

Quick question on the older lenses. I remember reading that some of the lenses from the 35mm film cameras could not be used on the DX sensor cameras, due to the glass movement inside the lens. Something about the lens glass hitting the sensor.

Aside from a few exotic fisheye lenses, which could only be used on cameras which allowed the mirror to be locked up; I think this issue only applies to certain rare lenses that Nikon made for a short-lived line of APS-based SLRs back in the age of film, during that very brief period when anyone thought that APS might ever become a viable alternative to the standard 35mm film format. I believe that some of these lenses did indeed have elements that intruded far enough into the camera body that they could not safely be used on 35mm bodies because the rear elements would be in the path of the mirror.

Certainly no such issue exists mounting any normal 35mm camera or “FX-format” lenses on a DX-format camera, and I don't think Nikon has made any lenses intended for use on any digital cameras that have any such issue. The only issue of compatibility regarding DX vs. FX lenses is that while a DX lens will mount and function on an FX body, it cannot be counted on to fully cover the FX frame, resulting in vignetting and cropping.

It looks to me, if I am correctly understanding what I'm reading in the relevant Wikipedia article, like your F80 uses CPU lenses, and will freely share lenses with any Nikon DSLR body that has a built-in focus motor, such as the D7100. Lower DSLR models, such as the D5?00 and D3?00 series will also share lenses with the F80, but will only autofocus with AF-I and AF-S lenses that have built-in motors; lenses that are fully compatible with the D3?00 and D5?00 models should also be fully compatible with the F80, aside from the above mentioned DX/FX issue which will also apply to the D7?00 models. Buy only AF-I or AF-S FX lenses,and you should be happy using them on your F80 and on whatever DSLR you end up getting.

Your older FG takes non-CPU AI lenses. If you've tried using the lens from it on your F80, then you know what to expect using that same lens on a DSLR; you'll be able to use it manually, but don't expect any metering auto exposure, or autofocus.

I believe some of the higher DSLR models do support the mechanical AI aperture coupling, and can therefore meter and possibly do autoexposure with your old lens from your FG, but I am unclear as to which models this applies to.

You'll want to avoid G-series lenses if you hope to use them on the FG, as these have no manual aperture ring which would limit their usability on the FG.

I should disclaim that nearly all fo what I've written here is a combination of educated guessing and minor research via the Wikipedia. Others may have more solid experience, and be able to correct errors in what I have written.

Not that it's relevant to you, but just because it is something that I can say from solid experience rather an educated guesses and research, I am going to throw in that contrary to what Nikon states on its web site and in the user manual for the D3200, old non-AI lenses (those made before 1977) can, in fact, be used just fine on the D3200, albeit with the obvious limitations of no autofocus, no exposure metering, and no automatic exposure. I have three such lenses, that go with my 1972-vintage F2, and have used all of them on my D3200. I'm given to understand that there are some Nikon bodies that can be damaged by mounting non-AI lenses on them, but I am unclear as to how this happens, or which bodies are thus vulnerable. I gather it has something to do with the mechanical AI aperture ring coupling, with which I am entirely unfamiliar. My D3200 doesn't have any mechanical aperture ring coupling, and my F2 uses a completely different coupling mechanism which the AI method replaced. I've never had occasion to examine a Nikon that uses the AI coupling to see how it works, or what, on it, might conflict with anything on a non-AI lens.

Last edited:

Mike D90

The lens hitting things issue was that some zoom lens compatibility with a teleconverter and they could possibly have a glass collision if they were not designed to be used together.

As to using older lenses did you also mean older auto focus lenses or really older non-auto focus lenses?

This is just a suggestion and may not even be close to what you want but I will stick my neck out and recommend a D90. Yes, it is 2008 technology at 12mp but it is DX sensor which is common today. It also has full manual mode and several program modes and Auto if needed. It accepts and, will work correctly with, any auto focus lens Nikon has ever made. It has an internal focus motor so that the older lenses will auto focus. It also uses the new AF-S technology lenses that have the internal focus motors in the lens. It will also use any older AI or AI-S lenses but will have no metering capability.

With your budget you could get a D90 with one lens for half of what you listed as a budget for a camera body. With the leftover money you could add two or more lenses and other gear.