Close up photos of the sun.

Scott Murray

In here I will post my attempts of photographing the surface of the sun. DO NOT TRY THIS WITH OUT THE PROPER EQUIPMENT AS IT COULD DAMAGE YOUR CAMERA OR YOUR EYES.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Scott Murray

This was my very first attempt, if you look closely you can see black spots, these are sun spots. I used at the time my D800, 80-400Vr, Ha Filter, and Bader solar film.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1387217789.460776.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Scott Murray

looks good. the color reminds me of tang. I want to go out and drink fanta.

The colour is actually artificial, when I get the photo via the Ha Filter (Hydrogen Alpha) it is quite red, I then have to convert it to monochrome and then adjust colour to my liking, this was my first attempt from a single frame. I may try a tripod and stacking to see if that helps. You actually have to have different exposures to see different elements of the sun. And I think I need a narrower Ha filter but they run in to the 1000's of $$$'s.

Dave_W

The Dude
Mine is about the lowest tech version possible. I used my 70-300mm covered with by a welding mask. These photos date back to the transit of Venus that occurred June 5th, 2012.

Scott Murray

Mine is about the lowest tech version possible. I used my 70-300mm covered with by a welding mask. These photos date back to the transit of Venus that occurred June 5th, 2012.

Its actually pretty good, and you can see the outer flares which is surprising, my Bader film arrived after the transit so I didn't get any photos of that.

Bill16

I'm interested in seeing what you come up with next Scott! Lol :D I like your earlier attempt best as a shot of the sun! But I like the other shot for the cool texture and artistic feel of it! :D

480sparky

I took one a couple years ago just to prove to someone it could be done with 'ordinary photography equipment'.

ShotoftheSun.jpg

Just tossed a VND and CPL onto a 105mm.

For further proof, I checked a sunspots website.

Sunspots.jpg

Scott Murray

The foil you see is bader solar film. The red filter is the Ha filter. Unfortunately I could not afford the full Ha kit which is around $1000. Also I am in need of more reach.

ha6yba3a.jpg

Courier pigeon got eaten :-( now sent via Kookaburra.