Flash Sync Speed & Wireless Triggers for Portraits

Hi guys,

I am just getting into Portrait photography and I own a Nikon D3200, 50mm F/1.8G Lens + SB910 Speedlight.

I would like to purchase a wireless trigger for flash photography, for the specific purpose of allowing the D3200 to shoot at a higher maximum Sync Speed of 1/200s – the
Nikon D3200 does not have Auto FP Mode built-in.

Please can anyone recommend a brand or specific model that will permit this kind of shooting?

Ideally I am looking for a good piece of kit that will last a good few years and which can control more than one Speedlight at time.

Quite new to portrait and flash photography so any help or advice is much appreciated.

Cheers,

Matt

WayneF

Hi guys,

I am just getting into Portrait photography and I own a Nikon D3200, 50mm F/1.8G Lens + SB910 Speedlight.

I would like to purchase a wireless trigger for flash photography, for the specific purpose of allowing the D3200 to shoot at a higher maximum Sync Speed of 1/200s – the
Nikon D3200 does not have Auto FP Mode built-in.

Please can anyone recommend a brand or specific model that will permit this kind of shooting?

Ideally I am looking for a good piece of kit that will last a good few years and which can control more than one Speedlight at time.

Quite new to portrait and flash photography so any help or advice is much appreciated.

Cheers,

Matt

Sounds like you are talking about PocketWizard HyperSync, see PocketWizard® - HyperSync

I don't have that (Pocket Wizard), am not familiar with it, and cannot answer questions about it, but I think it answers your question. I can point you to look at it.

I know it is sort of a kludge, not real FP mode. The real FP flash mode reconfigures the the flash be a long continuous burst (comparable length to 1/200 sync duration), so that any shutter speed can be used (no sync concern for continuous light). The SB-700 and SB-910 can do that, but the D3200 cannot. The D7100 and up can do it, with these speedights.

Meanwhile, HyperSync claims to do something to act like it too.

Portraits indoors have no use for shutter speeds faster than 1/200 second, but sunshine can be something different, if you need wide aperture.